Notices

getting fit?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

getting fit?

I was wondering has anybody got any techniques to get myself addicted to working out? lol
I've started to see the pattern in my life that all these times I think i've beaten an addiction i've actually just traded it for a new one so if i'm going to live with an addictive personality maybe I can find a useful and fun addiction.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

bicycle riding is enjoyed much in sobriety

fresh air, good scenery and one of the best exercises
Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

find some method of getting exercise that you enjoy on it's own merit (if at all possible)

If you like to get together with friends maybe a team sport. If you like the outdoors hiking or biking, if you want to meet new people a class in yoga or martial arts might be good.

For me, the hardest part is getting over the daily inertia. Once I get out there, I'm good, but I have to push myself over the daily hump of physical, mental and time excuses to NOT get going. Once I am going, I find it harder to keep going.

Some people (I have not found this true for me) purchase expensive equipment or an expensive membership to a gym, because then they feel they MUST justify the expense and it keeps them doing the thing until it's habit.

Whatever motivates your personality, try to put that into practice...as long as you don't use a self defeating substance or activity as a "reward" for working out.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HEY!! Yes! You can get "dependent" on exercise! I was thinking the same thing as you in very early sobriety! I was thinking "boy, I have an innate addictive personality, I wonder if I can get addicted to exercise,that would be nice"
Soooo 4 months later and I can say I have developed, not an "addiction" per se, but i have got so accustomed to getting exercise every day that I find myself craving it, and feeling off if I dont get a workout. If my drunk,fat self couldve seen me typing this she wouldve laughed and then groaned lazily at the thought of a walk.

Miracles DO happen lol.
I started exercising in winter. I started by shuffling along in the frigid nights, being happy to make it less than a mile. I was soooo out of shape. Bloated, sick and unhealthy. I exercised at night so noone would see me, (and it got dark out at 4:30pm) I was quite the sight, 213 pounds in boots, heavy coat, and mittens, huffing and puffing. But somehow I kept at it.
When I started noticing improvements is when I got more inspired. 1 mile turned to 1.25, then 1.5. Then I was coming home elated that I shuffled 1 mile without stopping!
Spring came and I could shuffle faster, 2 months without alcohol and pounds were falling off.
If I didnt exercise all day I would get kind of crawly, like itching for my fix. If that's unhealthy I dont give a crap! LOL

So now, after work,work,work, I went from sedentary and LAZY to whipping out the door,and running 2miles straight. I run a 5K in 32 minutes. Thats not super fast, but oh well, I can do it!
Me and my husband also did the entire 5 weeks of Insanity, I couldnt believe I got abs, theyre buried under 2 inches of fat, but hey, theyre there!

And if I can do it, seriously, YOU can do it.

This is the only time I can say "Get addicted" and mean it!

They say it takes 6 weeks to develop a new habit, and I agree. At least 6 weeks, so give it time, but MAKE yourself do it, it will happen. I am down to 180 pounds (33 pounds) and I am FIT!

So yeah, go for it!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The nice thing about being addicted to exercise is that it is much less likely to kill you like alcohol will. Exercise is a key component of my sobriety - helps release endorphins that manage my stress levels and burns excess energy. Lots and lots of drunks get into working out when living sober, because it feels so good not to be drunk or hungover today! Keep at it, but remember exercise alone is one part of it. I would recommend attending a regular meeting of AA to maintain your mental and spiritual health the same way you maintain the physical.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Look up couch to 5k. It's a running program. I'm getting ready to start that one again. All you need is a pair of sneakers! Good Luck! I was just thinking the same thing. Throw myself into hard training and eating healthier. That for me helps out a lot! If I get some days under my belt with eating right and working out, I am less likely to throw poison alcohol down my throat!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by rennn View Post
I was wondering has anybody got any techniques to get myself addicted to working out? lol
I've started to see the pattern in my life that all these times I think i've beaten an addiction i've actually just traded it for a new one so if i'm going to live with an addictive personality maybe I can find a useful and fun addiction.

Sure, its pretty hard not to find something to be obsessed or addicted to with our personality types. Working out is a GREAT one, and I have placed a lot of my energy into it as well. Go to the gym, see and feel the results, get amped about it, obsession started. lol.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I picked up running and working with kettle bells when I stopped drining. I find running very addicting.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Long walks worked wonders for me in every way. Yoga has always been a mainstay in my life.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great idea. I always say that exercise is free medicine! It actually does heal so many health issues for "free".

My answer would depend upon your starting point. Years ago, I had to just start walking. Even a few miles 4 or 5 times a week made a huge difference. As my conditioning progressed I could add other things. The variety then made it more fun and exciting.

Check with your medical professional first and make sure that you don't do something to put your health at more risk. As allowed though you might want to consider some new, exciting, and challenging things! Some may seem intimidating at first but that is part of the excitement. It is So rewarding to improve in things that once seemed impossible. I have most recently really enjoyed the high-intensity, Crossfit-like work outs. Lots of benefits for strength, conditioning and weight loss. Couple it with a low glycemic or Paleo type of diet and look out!!.......great things will start to happen and more quickly than you may think.

Stay safe and enjoy the journey : )
Old 06-06-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Different things for different people but really just find something you love doing. Going to the gym, workout dvds, kettlebells. I love doing all these and have done them for years but I gotta tell you working out hangover free is awesome.

You can also make new fitness friends too!

Just thought maybe a 90 day program of some sort could help keep you accountable? Take pictures, let people. You could get in awesome shape and have another motivator for not drinking. Might just start one myself.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

As others have said... With an addicting personality, pretty much any fitness activity is going to develop some form of competition, push the determination, and/or tug at the ego, and cause you to want to do more of it.

If you're a group person, it seems there's always a group out there that's passionate about it, and it's very easy to feed off of it. There are several running groups around the town I live in that are easy to get drawn into... We also have a great gym here for powerlifting (incredibly supportive as well)... If you've ever seen/heard anything about Crossfit, they're obviously a group of crazy addicts... We even have a strongman training group here in town that's insanely addicting. And though I never had a desire to get into it, I have to respect a few groups of bodybuilders around town... Their little clique was very supportive of each other and pushed.

I've always needed a goal in mind. For running, I would set forth a goal: "run a XX:XX 5K", "drop X.XX% body fat", "put on XXlbs of muscle", "deadlift XXXlbs", "run a X:XX:XX half marathon", "get in XX tractor tire flips", "run XX miles", etc. That's me though... I'm very competitive with myself.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just make sure not to skip meetings for the gym....
Good luck.

Check out Broscience,very funny "work out "stuff on Youtube.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

a lot of good ideas, theres a small mountain nearby where I live the track is only a bit more then 1 kilometre long (thats if i drive to the base of track) and its very steep in parts and the views are spectacular I was doing it for a while almost everyday I should get back into it.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As most already said here, it's important to find something you like doing. And if you can't do that, then work at making something you don't like, likable.

I always hated running, but by trial and error learned how to make it work for me. There are times now that I absolutely love it. 2 things that are really important for me. First is that I have to like where I'm running. Used to live only a few blocks from the beach, and at that time I was running 4-5X a week. Now I live near a beautiful park with a track in it. I am bored to tears on that track and dread running. Running is fun for me if I like the surrounding, torture for me if I don't. I still run, but I have to start driving to the beach because it's only rare occasions that I get out now to do it.

2nd thing is that I learned it's really important to start slow, and go at my pace... nobody elses. And my pace is literally laughable at times, my wife can walk next to me as I trot along sometimes. Learned early on also that the toughest part of running is the first 5 or 10 minutes. At somewhere around that time mark I always feel like there's no way I can go any further. What I started doing was stopping after 5 minutes, stretching for about 5 minutes, and then starting again super slowly and picking up the pace as I move along. It makes all the difference in the world for me. Last summer I was running up to 8 miles a couple of times a week doing that. If I didn't stop and stretch I'd be done at less than a mile.

Last note I'll put in for now is that I find it's important to get out to do whatever it is we're choosing to do no matter what. The gym has become my main source of exercise, and there are days it seems literally impossible for me to get out. On those days I say I'm gong to do ridiculously light weight, and have almost a relaxing exercise session where I focus and conentrate on form more than anything else. I train as strictly as I possibly can, making sure I'm using only the muscles I'm targeting in each exercise. I'm amazed at how much I hurt the next day sometimes doing this. I also usually wind up getting warmed up and having a great workout too, regardless of how I felt when I headed out to the gym.

Bottom line with all my exercise is that I don't put any pressure on myself other than to get out to do whatever it is I'm doing. Getting my feet and body in motion is the important part for me. Once I'm at the gym, beach, track, whatever... I go easy on myself and give myself credit for just being there. Oh yeah... I stay on task though, and stay away from making exercise a social event. I see lots of people go to the gym and hang out and BS with everybody for their entire stay there. I may work out slowly, and with light weight, but I do what I set out to do. In the gym that means anywhere from 16 to 24 sets plus a minimum of 20 minutes aerobics. And running for me, at the very least 2 miles.

Final note, is my promise that this addiction can be yours! I too wanted either this, or to become a workaholic. In all honesty however I think I have a pretty good balance. I don't think it's good to be addicted to anything. While I know you're joking, you might want to be careful nonetheless.

Good luck.