Notices

A confession

Old 06-05-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A confession

I am not sure why I am posting this but somehow think it may be therapeutic. The other day I was scurrying through my daily activities and still needed to workout. I was getting hungry and didn't want to take time to eat. Suddenly it hit me that I couldn't take a few decongestant. That may kill my appetite and give me me a bump for my workout. (..I know....bump is a scary word)
I ended up taking 4 OTC allergy pills. I am a big guy so really not 'too much' compared to some prescription strength but that isn't the point. I think there was something not right.....addictive. I felt it when searching for them.

Anyway, wish I wouldn't have because it makes me feel like I screwed up. This may cause a stir but I am still considering myself sober and close to 11 months. Alcohol was my DOC and I still feel good about that but am wary of other addictions sneaking in. Maybe that is why i have this nagging feeling of regret. I just wanted to put this out there to be honest. Guess I wanted you to be able to add an asterisk by my sober time if you so choose.

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Happier! (love that name!!!)

I think it shows great growth that you recognized the behavior immediately and sought advice here. As long as you don't do it again for a "bump" I personally feel like it was a learning experience - we all have lots of those moments once we become sober and learn about ourselves through clear eyes and no brain fog.

Congrats on your sober time and keep on keepin' on...happier!!!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happier I agree with IWillWin, your post shows that you recognised that this behaviour wasn't in keeping with your sobriety aims so you are making yourself accountable. Good for you. It's lucky that you are a big bloke, as a small woman four OTC allergy pills would knock me out!

I've had to learn (89 days) to put my recovery first. Eating on time (not stuffing myself), exercising, sleeping enough have to happen first, then the rest falls into place.

Your are still sober, stay strong.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks to both of you. Your responses have somehow brought me level of comfort and relief. I will however stay all the more vigilant. I also expect to take a few lumps on this post and that is okay too. Looking to learn from everyone.

Just want you to know that your words are appreciated.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am not sure if you have heard of H.A.L.T.

Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired

It sounds to me like you were hungry.

I know when I was drinking I did not eat very well or at all. It was a buzz kill for me. I would drink all weekend and not eat until I was ready for bed or close to it. Sometimes I would heat something in the microwave and then forget about it and pass out without eating.

I know for me if I start feeling strange now I HALT and ask myself if one of these four things are bothering me.

Tuesday I was tired. I felt down right beat. I skipped my meeting and stayed home and rested. I guess it was what I needed as I felt better the next day and went to my meeting.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

Ive screwed up before over the years with OTC sedative medication, and drug substitution. This time i know it is a trap for me and whilst it is the lesser of two evils it certainly feeds the monkey. If i have a cold, or the man flu now i just take panadol if i need it.

how you count your time is your buisness.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I personally feel like drugs and alcohol were just a symptom of my disease of addiction. I am learning to change my addictive behaviors as that is key rather then just putting down the drink and drug.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First I heard of the otc thing. Your caught yourself. Eat something especially if you are working out
Old 06-06-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I am not sure if you have heard of H.A.L.T.

Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired
No, I have never heard of this until now. It makes a lot of sense! Thank you.
At the time I was actually hungry, lonely, and tired. These are obviously not excuses but I will certainly now see them as warning signs and adjust accordingly. Thanks again.

Thanks to all for the input. All valid pionts that should help me progress.