Notices

New to forum--I need advice!

Old 06-05-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to forum--I need advice!

Okay. I'm 25 and drink pretty heavily. I constantly drink during the day, at times to where I pass out. It's never affected my job, but I cannot mess up because it will ruin my career, which is just starting.

I'm scared to go to an AA meeting, and honestly, I know (or think/suspect) I'm an alcoholic, but I don't want to admit it. My friends and I joke about it, but it's not something to laugh at because it's out of hand.

I hide alcohol throughout the house, and when people find it, I lie about it. No one has said anything to me (I still live with my parents), but I don't even want to talk to them about it (I'm like the prodigal child, and this embarrasses me).

I have never had a DUI, but I have done sobriety tests before (I've definitely lucked out). Even though I was really scared after I was pulled over, I was drinking the next day.

Basically, alcoholism runs in my family, and I've decided to give up drinking, mainly to help me be healthy, not ruin my career or life, because it's getting out of hand, and because I've gained almost 30lbs from drinking (was 145, now am 175, and am not happy about it).

I know people here have problems was worse than I do. I just don't know how to handle this because I am scared that I won't be able to give up drinking. Everytime I've tried before, I've never been able to stop completely.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DAB

Go to AA, there is nothing to be afraid of. You can just go and listen.
Denial is the wall that protects us from recovery.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome mmc

I think everyone here has been afraid to change, and feared they won't be able to stop drinking.

The thing is...you'll never know if you never try

Just take it day by day - find support, make the changes you know you need to make....

there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to stop & stay stopped, if you want to enough

D
Old 06-05-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

I attended my first AA meeting last night since deciding to stop, and I can honestly say it was a great experience... All those feelings of embarrassment and fear of telling others... well, pretty much everyone in the room has been there, done that. They're a great resource to talk to, because they've been there too. It's someone to talk to (or just listen), who understands 100%.

My friends and I have always joked about being drunks/alcoholics... It's just a coping mechanism. We're smart enough to know we have a problem, but don't want to admit to it. In my eyes, it takes a much bigger person to admit it to them self and take action.

Best of luck with it!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to a great place, mmc. We all understand how you're feeling .

It's so good you're questioning your drinking habits now - before things spin out of control. I tried to use willpower to continue social drinking, but it led me to total dependency and 24/7 drinking. I hope you'll keep posting & that you'll find the support you're looking for.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's always scary to face a big change and stopping drinking is a big change. Take a look around and you'll see that there are many ways to stop drinking, but having a plan is a good idea.

Don't get overwhelmed by looking at the future of not drinking. Just get through each day and stay sober.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Welcome. Definitely give AA a try. I wish some kind of light bulb went off when I was your age. Find someone at AA who is 10-20 years older and has what you think you want in 10-20 years and reach out to them and be honest. You don't have to do it at the first meeting, you can just hang out for a couple and see if it might work for you. They will be more than willing to help you figure stuff out. AA is also a great place to Business Network. That's my suggestion, wishing you well
Old 06-05-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey,
I too am your age and in your position. Joined over two months ago but have fallen into my bad habits. I slipped up today-went out last night-and woke up late for work. Thought I could take control but enough is enough. I'm ready to face my fears and start fresh-once again and hopefully the last. Stay positive and I will try and do the same.
Best regards
Old 06-05-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replies. I am contemplating trying AA. I do have a good friend who would go with me, which may make it easier.

I did a sweep of my house this evening and dumped everything I could find down the drain. I've done that before, though and needless to say, that didn't help. My biggest worry is that I will fall back into my old habits.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Also, I think I would be more comfortable going to a gay AA meeting. Do they have those? I honestly haven't researched much of this... Though my problem doesn't stem from being gay (which I am comfortable with), I think I would be more comfortable that way.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Originally Posted by mmc514 View Post
Also, I think I would be more comfortable going to a gay AA meeting. Do they have those? I honestly haven't researched much of this... Though my problem doesn't stem from being gay (which I am comfortable with), I think I would be more comfortable that way.
Not sure if they do or not in your area, but even in my little backwoods podunk town (they call it a city, but it's a big town), there are at least 2 gay/lesbian/bi meetings/week.

And from what I've seen so far of AA, the people there couldn't care less about sexual orientation... And are incredibly accepting of whatever comes through the door.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Central Ohio Group Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous: News
Old 06-07-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi mmc. I'm 27 and have been putting off addressing my problem for a long time because I'm young and because it doesn't affect my job. Yet. So we're in a similar position I think.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by mmc514 View Post
Okay. I'm 25 and drink pretty heavily. I constantly drink during the day, at times to where I pass out. It's never affected my job, but I cannot mess up because it will ruin my career, which is just starting.

I'm scared to go to an AA meeting, and honestly, I know (or think/suspect) I'm an alcoholic, but I don't want to admit it. My friends and I joke about it, but it's not something to laugh at because it's out of hand.

I hide alcohol throughout the house, and when people find it, I lie about it. No one has said anything to me (I still live with my parents), but I don't even want to talk to them about it (I'm like the prodigal child, and this embarrasses me).

I have never had a DUI, but I have done sobriety tests before (I've definitely lucked out). Even though I was really scared after I was pulled over, I was drinking the next day.

Basically, alcoholism runs in my family, and I've decided to give up drinking, mainly to help me be healthy, not ruin my career or life, because it's getting out of hand, and because I've gained almost 30lbs from drinking (was 145, now am 175, and am not happy about it).

I know people here have problems was worse than I do. I just don't know how to handle this because I am scared that I won't be able to give up drinking. Everytime I've tried before, I've never been able to stop completely.

I got pulled over a few times, once wearing only boxers because I went outside to smoke, my friend passed out, and I couldnt get back in to the apartment complex. I had to drive home in my undies, I told the cop I got locked out and was heading to my parents. He somehow let me go, and I feel like I was slurring and obviously bombed. I got away a few times, but it never scared me out of drinking. I dont think anything does when you are really addicted. Its too powerful, but you can stop all this. You have to let go of some of your pride, especially when it comes to talking to your parents about it. They probably already know to be honest with you. I always thought I did a great job hiding it, but no, everyone knew it turns out. I wish you the best man, I know you can do this. Keep trying until you get it, there is limits on the amount of attempts you can use, as long as you learn from each fail and dont beat yourself up about it.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunting View Post
Hi mmc. I'm 27 and have been putting off addressing my problem for a long time because I'm young and because it doesn't affect my job. Yet. So we're in a similar position I think.
Yes, it sounds like it. It def. hasn't affected my job, but I can lose my license (not driving) if it does... Not something I want to do after working so hard for, and now that I am taking graduate courses, I definitely can't afford that. Good luck to you!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nighthawk8820 View Post
I got pulled over a few times, once wearing only boxers because I went outside to smoke, my friend passed out, and I couldnt get back in to the apartment complex. I had to drive home in my undies, I told the cop I got locked out and was heading to my parents. He somehow let me go, and I feel like I was slurring and obviously bombed. I got away a few times, but it never scared me out of drinking. I dont think anything does when you are really addicted. Its too powerful, but you can stop all this. You have to let go of some of your pride, especially when it comes to talking to your parents about it. They probably already know to be honest with you. I always thought I did a great job hiding it, but no, everyone knew it turns out. I wish you the best man, I know you can do this. Keep trying until you get it, there is limits on the amount of attempts you can use, as long as you learn from each fail and dont beat yourself up about it.
Definitely not a good situation! Honestly, I am not sure what I would have done. Those situations still don't particularly scare me, but I know I was in the same situation as you... I've done the sobriety tests probably 4 times now...

My parents have said something to me before, but I don't know that they know how bad it is. This is going on a 4 year problem (progressively has gotten worse in the past 2 years, escalating rapidly during those 2 years).
Old 06-07-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad you are here and want to make some changes! That's wonderful This is a great forum, diverse group of people and approaches here.