Notices

Mindfulness

Old 06-05-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mindfulness

Has anybody tried using Mindfulness techniques to deter themselves from compulsive behaviours and if so have you had success?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Yes, I work on mindfulness and have been sober over seven months. For more information on exactly how mindfulness can be used to achieve sobriety, see http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ake-steps.html

In fact, since January there is a group of us where I live who meet weekly to share how mindfulness affects our sobriety.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks very much, I'll have a read through the stuff on that thread.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=barry8886;4000028]Has anybody tried using Mindfulness techniques to deter themselves from compulsive behaviours and if so have you had success?[/QUOTE

Barry...Thanks for reminding us of this valuable and often overlooked tool. Although, I do not use any particular technique or method I have found that for me mindfulness goes hand in hand with making good choices.

If I am going to change a behavior I need to be mindful of its existence.

Barry...this also brings to mind words such as: Accountability, impeccability, integrity!!

Thanks for the reminder.....("Mindfulness")

Have a fantastic day!!

Love,

CS
Old 06-05-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great link.
This is something I am currently working on a lot.
It is early days so I will let you know how I get on...
Old 06-05-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've used urgesurfing a lot

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If by "mindfulness" you're referring to the meditation practices (aka Dr. Zinn) then yes it's the core of my recovery. I took an 8 week program at our local hospital that teaches the practice. I've been practicing daily for quite some time now. Basically, for me, it teaches me how to handle intrusive thoughts. So when some bad memory arrives, instead of playing it back and reinforcing the memory, you recognize it as existing but you can choose not to reinforce it. The meditation practice allows you to learn how to do this when you're working on gaining focus. Over time those bad memories start to lose their ability to replay in your mind. They never go away 100% but as long as they're not constantly repeated it gets easier. My biggest reason for drinking is my mind plays back this never ending sequence of every bad, unhappy, embarrassing, etc. memory from my life. Alcohol helped quiet those thoughts, or so I thought. Introducing a drug that feels euphoric when bad memories pop into my head reinforces them and they become more prevalent.

I hope that made sense. It worked for me. I've seen it work for others. YMMV.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I too use urge surfing. And I've just started Vipassana meditation practice. I can vouch for the urge surfing... and haven't gotten far enough into meditation yet, but if it's as great as others say then it'll be worth the effort.