Notices

Plan?

Old 06-05-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Plan?

Hello everyone good morning
I am on day 14 on no alcohol.I did slip up last weekend and took a few vicoden though .I am wanting to ask you guys what would be a good plan for my continued sobriety.Ive done AA and it was not for me.I am talking about something Incan do from home or over Internet.
Has anyone had success with SMART or AVRT?Or anything similar?This site has helped me quite a bit just reading others posts but want something else to reassure my success.thanks!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

There are plenty of methods of recovery. But it depends. Are you an independent, motivated, self starter? Because recovering alone means you can do it without support or accountability and can muster all the motivation you need to succeed.

Our secular forum has lots of information about AVRT and other non-AA means of recovery.

Many say they can do it "on their own", but their struggle prove otherwise. What many do "alone" is keep their addiction a secret. They can't get out of their own loop of addictive thinking.

Yes, you can do this on your own. But if you struggle I hope you will consider any and all methods to conquor this problem.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Stubbs -- As doggonecarl mentioned, you'll find lots of info in this forum as well as folks that have used many different methods.

The key, for me, is to want sobriety more than I don't want it. If that makes sense.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Here's a link to the forum Carl mentioned. Take a look at it. Lots of info there about AVRT and other methods of staying sober.

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 06-05-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
Hello everyone good morning
I am on day 14 on no alcohol.I did slip up last weekend and took a few vicoden though .I am wanting to ask you guys what would be a good plan for my continued sobriety.Ive done AA and it was not for me.I am talking about something Incan do from home or over Internet.
Has anyone had success with SMART or AVRT?Or anything similar?This site has helped me quite a bit just reading others posts but want something else to reassure my success.thanks!

I didnt like AA either, because of this I sought out other methods. I would just research the hell out of it. Remember how you felt when you were consumed in the cycle of addiction and carry that with you ALWAYS. Thats the biggest thing, people get some sobriety under their belt and start to relax. They even think, "Maybe it wasnt so bad", or " Maybe I wasnt actually addicted". These are all thoughts that will get you right back where you started. I try and look back and remember who I was when I drank, how I felt, and how much progress I have made. I talk to god a lot and ask for guidance and for him to remove temptation or self doubt from my heart. What I have gained being sober vs. When I was using is like night and day. I am so much happier, that I just cant imagine going back to that personal prison I had created for myself. I try and be grateful and do something to challenge myself as often as I can, because when you conquer fears or trying new things, you build confidence and momentum. The trick to lifelong sobriety is you never settle into a rut, to always be growing in some way, to be challenging yourself. Does this make sense? Its early, I just woke up, and I could be rambling, lol.

If you slip up, learn from it and press on. Dont dwell on failures or the type of thoughts that will beat you down. There is nothing more difficult than trying to change for the better, but telling yourself you cant or listing all the things wrong with you.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes it all makes sense to me guys.Thank you,I have checked out that part o the forum a little bit when Inthink you pointed it out to me a week ago or so paperdolls,Or maybe Dee did not sure lol.But I need to get busy reason more.I was just wondering about any of your guys experience with any of these ways of staying sober.Im getting there little by little....
Old 06-05-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Quick question to all of you.Im 15 days no alcohol and my anxiety seems to be worsening at times.I have dealt with it in the past for years.I quit drinking for a few weeks about 4 years ago and I was really surprised how my anxiety pretty much left me.
Just seems I should be feeling better but I'm not.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've used AVRT, SMART, and Women For Sobriety... still use them. Recently started AA as well, just to give it a fair chance. I like parts of all of them! And most of the time, I can manage it so that nothing really conflicts. I also do group therapy and individual therapy.

This combined approach is working well for me. Good luck with it! I'd say try any of them... they all have their strengths.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

I don't know Stubbs. What are you feeling? I've gotten some good stuff out of SMART's worksheets, and a lot of people seem to like AVRT as well. I think there really is something to doing something hands on spiritually as well whether its Fly Fishing on a Mountain Stream or going to Church.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Running and cutting back on caffeine have helped reduce my anxiety a lot. Seems too simple, but really... things like that can make a big difference.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not sure what I'm feeling elegant lol.Just anxious all the time.Just feel a bit hazy and anxious.Hello soberjennie,thanks for the replys tonight.I have been drinking quite a bit of coffee and soda since I quit.You might have something there on the caffeine intake.
It's just my addictive behavior I guess,Can't drink beer so load up on the caffeine!Man sometimes I feel out of control lol.I do have to say I do feel better in other ways though.I am gaining some self worth back and excited about controlling my future and not letting alcohol control it.I wen back and read my posts from about 15 months ago and my short lived sobriety back then.It was interesting to say the least.many emotions went threw me reading that.Ive got to do this this time around.I also want to thank you Dee, you were by my side back then and here you are again with your wonderful support,Thank You!Well good night to all y
Old 06-05-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not sure what I'm feeling elegant lol.Just anxious all the time.Just feel a bit hazy and anxious.Hello soberjennie,thanks for the replys tonight.I have been drinking quite a bit of coffee and soda since I quit.You might have something there on the caffeine intake.
It's just my addictive behavior I guess,Can't drink beer so load up on the caffeine!Man sometimes I feel out of control lol.I do have to say I do feel better in other ways though.I am gaining some self worth back and excited about controlling my future and not letting alcohol control it.I wen back and read my posts from about 15 months ago and my short lived sobriety back then.It was interesting to say the least.many emotions went threw me reading that.Ive got to do this this time around.I also want to thank you Dee, you were by my side back then and here you are again with your wonderful support,Thank You!Well good night to all you good people of SB and stay strong!