Notices

Fine lines...

Old 06-05-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fine lines...

Ok, so I've been thinking a lot lately about a few things to do with sobriety and medication/'legal highs'

Not because of anything to do with me, just interested in opening a discussion on what people's thoughts are. (It partly ties in with my study too)

For me, I used to be heavily medicated with prescription drugs, and then obviously i'm an alcoholic. What i've noticed is that a lot of addicts come off of alcohol or their DOC and then switch it to something else, whether it's 'legal highs', or weed, or what not and I know that people will then say this is addictive behaviour and that person is not sober...

Now, I choose to manage my mental health with diet and vitamin supplements, but when people dry out and then get 2/3/4 prescriptions for anxiety/depression etc is that not similar to replacing a DOC with another?

I know that they are prescribed and your doctor has made an informed decision however I've just done a module for uni on how in the UK NHS doesn't have time to give everyone the talking therapy even tho it's proven more effective long term, thats why they just write a prescription, and in the USA there is big money to be made by writing out prescriptions.

So, I know for most people their medication is needed and a life line... but if were truly honest can it sometimes also be addictive behaviour seeking a 'fix'?
Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can very easily tell the difference between the drugs I used to take and the drugs I take now

I used to take drugs 'to get out of it' - I wanted to escape reality, I wanted to run away.

I take drugs now to improve my quality of life - to get into life not get out of it. (I have a lot of lifelong chronic pain issues).

I'm serious about my recovery - I consult with my Dr regularly about my pain management regime - if I ever felt the old feeling of being high come back I'd immediately take steps to change my regime, but over the last 6 years that's never happened.

We can change. That's why sites like this exist.

I think we need to be very careful about talking about situations others may be in that we cannot possibly know a lot about...

we need to be wary about discussing things with too broad a brush.

D
Old 06-05-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with everything Dee said, but I do think it's worth looking into talking therapy versus prescription drugs, in some cases. But it's a huge subject....

Venus xx
Old 06-05-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it can be a fine line there.Not only will some people abuse them,but there is so much money to be made off these drugs they get prescribed when they probably shouldn't have been.I know a guy that gets a ton of norcos,adderall,Xanax, each month and he doesn't need any of them.
But there are people like Dee stated that need these different drugs to help in there quality of life.There is a difference between using them correctly and abusing them.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

My understanding of Rx meds for depression, anxiety etc is that the purpose of them is to take the edge off to a degree that allows us to address our lives. The purpose is NOT to give us an escape so we DO NOT address our lives.

When we take them to escape rather than to live, we are abusing them.

I abused Rx meds as part of my active addiction.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with you all...

I guess i just wanted to open up a discussion about it being too easy to be prescribed drugs that can 'take the edge off' and whether people thought this could be addictive behaviour.... also there are plenty of substances that can be ordered off the internet to 'take the edge off' but then this would be abusing?

Oh i dunno i've done so much studying my minds bongled.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Venuscat does bring up an interesting point, I seem to be seeing more and more studies which indicate that some drugs I.e anti-depressants can be less effective than talking therapy. I use both and obviously it's a huge subject to tackle.

I also agree with Dee also, the drugs I'm prescribed don't get me 'high' they aid me in getting back a quality of life I have lost over the past few years. I guess it's different for everyone
Old 06-05-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's different for everyone I am sure. I know I can't take prescription meds without abusing them. I'm in hell after coming off prescription meds. There are obviously people who can though so there really isn't a blanket answer. Case by case basis which requires brutal honesty with ones self.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Torso View Post
Ok, so I've been thinking a lot lately about a few things to do with sobriety and medication/'legal highs'

Not because of anything to do with me, just interested in opening a discussion on what people's thoughts are. (It partly ties in with my study too)

For me, I used to be heavily medicated with prescription drugs, and then obviously i'm an alcoholic. What i've noticed is that a lot of addicts come off of alcohol or their DOC and then switch it to something else, whether it's 'legal highs', or weed, or what not and I know that people will then say this is addictive behaviour and that person is not sober...

Now, I choose to manage my mental health with diet and vitamin supplements, but when people dry out and then get 2/3/4 prescriptions for anxiety/depression etc is that not similar to replacing a DOC with another?

I know that they are prescribed and your doctor has made an informed decision however I've just done a module for uni on how in the UK NHS doesn't have time to give everyone the talking therapy even tho it's proven more effective long term, thats why they just write a prescription, and in the USA there is big money to be made by writing out prescriptions.

So, I know for most people their medication is needed and a life line... but if were truly honest can it sometimes also be addictive behaviour seeking a 'fix'?

I see what you are saying and have wondered about this myself. I think as people with addictive personalities, its important to always keep our guard up and to steer away from as many chemicals as we can, this includes doctor prescribed meds. Its a personal choice I think, and what works for one person may not for another.