Notices

Questions

Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HEO

Questions

Hello all. I guess I need advice. I never had a problem with drinking. I would go a month without it every year to make sure there was no physical dependence. Maybe I'm about to ask the wrong question, or I'm looking for the wrong answers, so please excuse me. I started working second shift 8 months ago. When I get out of work everyone is in bed and I have nothing to do, so 3-4 nights a week I go to the bar to kill some time. As time goes on I'm tempted to go more. It's human interaction. I eat dinner/work alone most nights and I don't want to just go home after work and be alone, but its 11:15 when i get out, so what else do i do? I enjoy having beers with friends, at cookouts, sporting events, etc. however, now I'm stuck. I still hold down 2 jobs, have never had a DUI and workout every morning. I don't want to quit drinking all together, I just want to quit this new habit of drinking to cure loneliness. Is there anyone else here that works similar hours at a lonely job who has found late human interaction in another way? The bar has turned into my late night friend, and while I only have 2-4 beers, I know this isn't a good behavior pattern. I need help with a substitute. I have friends, a GF and a family, but I'm on a different schedule. Should I find a new job? What else can I do at 11:15? Thanks for reading this...
Old 06-04-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Quitting drinking is about making changes in our lives to support our sober lifestyle. Maybe you should look for another job, I can't say. I do know that you can live sober, you can stop going to the bar after work, it just depends on how badly you want to make changes.

You've come to a great place for support.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's always people on here HEO, all hours of the day.
It's gotta be better than drinking

welcome aboard

D