Notices

1 year sober

Old 06-04-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 year sober

Hi I am now one year sober.

Thanks heaps to this site. I would never have believed it 13 months ago. If I can and you are reading this then you can too.

My only secret has been keeping extra busy and committing 100% I am open to change and whatever now comes in life. I have so much to be grateful for.

My biggest issue now is the thinking - I'd never given up before maybe Im not an alco, or forgetting how bad it really was because it is soooo great now. I really have to be on my guard. I honestly don't want to drink.

The other thing I did is tell a lot of work colleagues and friends that I was having 12 months off grog, it was like telling them I just saw a 3 headed alien in the back yard. They were sort of OK knowing it wasn't permanent. Anyway a few have actually said your 12 months must be up you can start again etc.. I may have made a bit of a rod for myself. Just going to tell them I feel so good Im going another 12.

My reward = I have 4 months (paid) off work and going up the middle of Aus and down the East Coast in a tiny caravan in our little black AWD. Give a wave if you see us.

In summary - downside is it has changed dynamics with friends and work. To network and form friendships and associates, de stress, or nearly anything in my line of work you drink, fullstop.

Upside - Everything else except the above. Seems like a fair trade off to me.

For those with anxiety/depression issues the difference in me has been signifigant and enough to abstain from booze for that improvement alone.

Good luck everyone and thanks
Old 06-04-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your one year nigey! What a wonderful accomplishment.

Thanks for the encouraging and supportive post. I'm sure it'll be helpful to many. It's great to hear how good your life is now - and the trip sounds amazing. Sorry I won't be able to wave - I'm in the U.S. Have a fabulous time.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations nigey

D
Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For those with anxiety/depression issues the difference in me has been signifigant and enough to abstain from booze for that improvement alone.

Hi Nige thanks for the positive post and a big congratulations on your 1 year. I have only been going for two months but your advice on telling your friends you are stopping for 1 year is great and i am going to use it to buy me the next 10 months
I suffered anxiety and depression that i am glad to say has nearly disapeared. Isnt it ironic that we drink to mask these issues only to find that it is making the issues worse or other cases creating the issues.
I hope you enjoy your sober trip up to the Northern Territory and down the East Coast
Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

:goodscore Congrats on the 1 yr mark nigey1!

Also well done with maintaining your commitment to remain sober in the face adversity.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you and enjoy your time off!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are an inspiration to us newbies!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's awesome Nigey. Just touching 6 months but can't wait to hit a year and longer
Old 06-04-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful

Congrats on one year Nigy!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Way to go, congrats & thanks for sharing.
Enjoy your downunder trip.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Righteous.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations Nigey!! :day2
Such a wonderful accomplishment....so happy for you!!!

Love V xx
Old 06-04-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your year!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Love to read posts like this....congratulations and thanks for sharing
Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great post thanks and congrats.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats, what a milestone! Proof that we can change our lives, if we are 100% committed to do so.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by nigey1 View Post
Hi I am now one year sober.

Thanks heaps to this site. I would never have believed it 13 months ago. If I can and you are reading this then you can too.

My only secret has been keeping extra busy and committing 100% I am open to change and whatever now comes in life. I have so much to be grateful for.

My biggest issue now is the thinking - I'd never given up before maybe Im not an alco, or forgetting how bad it really was because it is soooo great now. I really have to be on my guard. I honestly don't want to drink.

The other thing I did is tell a lot of work colleagues and friends that I was having 12 months off grog, it was like telling them I just saw a 3 headed alien in the back yard. They were sort of OK knowing it wasn't permanent. Anyway a few have actually said your 12 months must be up you can start again etc.. I may have made a bit of a rod for myself. Just going to tell them I feel so good Im going another 12.

My reward = I have 4 months (paid) off work and going up the middle of Aus and down the East Coast in a tiny caravan in our little black AWD. Give a wave if you see us.

In summary - downside is it has changed dynamics with friends and work. To network and form friendships and associates, de stress, or nearly anything in my line of work you drink, fullstop.

Upside - Everything else except the above. Seems like a fair trade off to me.

Good luck everyone and thanks

CONGRATS!!!!! That is awesome and you should feel so proud. Its amazing what you can accomplish when you step up and put your mind to it, isnt it?

Never forget where you were, that is how the addiction creeps back in and you would have to start all over. Thats the biggest issue in relapse besides boredom. People let their guard down and think, "Maybe it wasnt so bad" because time has altered their perception. Trust me, always stay guarded and when those thoughts start, tell yourself you are full of crap and to stay on track.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nice, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations Nigey! You are a great inspiration. Thanks for sharing your story and kudos to you for keeping your sobriety commitment going!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Awesome dude. Just awesome.