Notices

Classification Of Alcoholics as noted in AA Big Book

Old 06-04-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Classification Of Alcoholics as noted in AA Big Book

Reprinted With Permission Of AA World Services ,inc
AA Big Book Chapter - Dr's Opinion

The classification of alcoholics seems most difficult, and in much detail is outside the scope of this book. There are, of course, the psychopaths who are emotionally unstable. We are all familiar with this type. They are always "going on the wagon for keeps." They are over-remorseful and make many resolutions, but never a decision.

There is the type of man who is unwilling to admit that he cannot take a drink. He plans various ways of drinking. He changes his brand or his environment.

There is the type who always believes that after being entirely free from alcohol for a period of time he can take a drink without danger.

There is the manic-depressive type, who is, perhaps, the least understood by his friends, and about whom a whole chapter could be written.

Then there are types entirely normal in every respect except in the effect alcohol has upon them. They are often able, intelligent, friendly people.

All these, and many others, have one symptom in common: they cannot start drinking without developing the phenomenon of craving.

This phenomenon, as we have suggested, may be the manifestation of an allergy which differentiates these people, and sets them apart as a distinct entity. It has never been, by any treatment with which we are familiar, permanently eradicated. The only relief we have to suggest is entire abstinence.
__________________________________________________ ______________________
Big Book Chapter There is a Solution

At a certain point in the drinking of every alcoholic, he passes into a state where the most powerful desire to stop drinking is of absolutely no avail. This tragic situation has already arrived in practically every case long before it is suspected.

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

The almost certain consequences that follow taking even a glass of beer do not crowd into the mind to deter us. If these thoughts occur, they are hazy and readily supplanted with the old threadbare idea that this time we shall handle ourselves like other people. There is a complete failure of the kind of defense that keeps one from putting his hand on a hot stove.

The alcoholic may say to himself in the most casual way, "It won't burn me this time, so here's how!" Or perhaps he doesn't think at all. How often have some of us begun to drink in this nonchalant way, and after the third or fourth, pounded on the bar and said to ourselves, "For God's sake, how did I ever get started again?" Only to have that thought supplanted by "Well, I'll stop with the sixth drink." Or "What's the use anyhow?"

When this sort of thinking is fully established in an individual with alcoholic tendencies, he has probably placed himself beyond human aid, and unless locked up, may die or to permanently insane. These stark and ugly facts have been confirmed by legions of alcohoholics throughout history. But for the grace of God, there would have been thousands more convincing demonstrations. So many want to stop but cannot.

There is a solution. Almost none of us liked the self- searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation. But we saw that it really worked in others, and we had come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as we had been living it. When, therefore, we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at out feet. We have found much of heaven and we have been rocketed into a fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed.

The solution is in the first 164 pages of the Big Book.

If you are interested in reading more about this Solution , here is a link to AA's Big Book Online linked with Permission of AA World Services, inc

Big Book Online Fourth Edition
Old 06-04-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like how the writers add,"and in much detail is outside the scope of this book."

scope-The range of one's perceptions, thoughts, or actions.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

I agree. To me it is simple. If you have one drink and always want another, whether you are able to resit or not, you are an alcoholic. You may not have always had this desire, but once you reach this place, its there for good, can't be cured and will never go away or be controlled.

I have read so much here in SR and there is so much debate about whether we fit this or that definition of what an alcoholic is. I just thinks it's simple. Do you always want another?

I think that's a good post deeker to remind me why I am here. Either way, or for what reason, something good to continually keep in mind and contemplate as we move forward.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Then there are types entirely normal in every respect except in the effect alcohol has upon them. They are often able, intelligent, friendly people.

THAT'S ME
Old 06-05-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by InperfectlyMe View Post

THAT'S ME
That's me too.