Becoming a family group

Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Becoming a family group

A short while ago I asked for a group conscience from my home group in Narcotics Anonymous at our next business meeting if, during the 'any announcements for the good of NA' part of our meeting I could, in the interest of cooperation, announce our weekly Nar-Anon meeting as well. It passed unanimously and I began doing so starting a few days ago.

Last night I attended our weekly Nar-Anon meeting and six addicts in recovery showed up who have their own relationships with addicts in their lives. It seemed that almost everyone in the room had this look like they were a mouse surrounded by cats - both the NA members and the Nar-Anon members.

Then the sharing began. I watched as one woman from NA tried to share and found she didn't know how to without cussing. She saw some discomfort in many of the faces, tried, struggled and failed to clean up her language. Her shame caused her to stop sharing prematurely. Then I saw this wave go through the meeting room...faces changed. It's was like they stopped hearing the cussing and just heard the pain. She was asked to please continue...she did.

The meeting is usually an hour and a half. It ended on time but nobody left. The fellowship afterwards lingered for another hour and a half. Normally one watches people in recovery change over months or years...I watched a large group change in hours. Phone lists were given out, sponsors were chosen. It was the most awesome meeting I ever remember going to - on either side of the fence. I watched it become a family group in a single night.

Anywho, just happy and sharing.