Notices

Well, Im an alcoholic and 24.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, Im an alcoholic and 24.

Ive been a heavy drinker since I was 18. I started out as self medicating for terrible social anxiety and depression. I got put on medication for both but they were just more addictions. 10-12 drinks is/was a standard for me and it wasnt uncommon for me to polish off a fifth. This probably went on for 6 or so years

To be honest, I was probably in denial. In my family every man is an alcoholic in one way shape or form. Some are just higher functioning than others.

I think I realized I need to quit because Im pretty sure Im showing signs of Alcoholic neuropathy. My pinkys go numb and I get pins and needles in my feet constantly

I have benzos so withdrawals will be tolerable but not dangerous or fun but I just dont know where to go from here. Im 24, unemployed, and the majority of my friends are just drinking buddies. I can say I have maybe one friend. Everyone else is just fair weather. I fear that Ill drink again out of loneliness .

I dont know the point of this thread. Where do I go from here? Am I gonna be a slave to my addiction for the rest of my life? Where do I meet sober friends?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey chainsaw...

i'm brand new to recovery, so i maybe don't have much to offer yet. others will be along with more for you, but i just wanted to say welcome! and you're not alone.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I started drinking at 14, and was an alcoholic from the first time I drank. This went on for many years.
You don't have to be a slave to your addiction. I quit, and so can you.
AA is a great place to meet sober friends who will understand what you're going through. IT also just may keep you sober if you're willing to commit.

Don't be to hard on yourself. I understand completely where you're coming from. I thought there was no help for me, that alcohol would win and kill me as it did many of my friends.
There is light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not a train, it's hope. Never lose hope that you can quit. I tried many times before I was able to.

Don't drink on the benzos whatver you do. Keep posting and reading. It's great to have you here.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrChainsaw View Post
Ive been a heavy drinker since I was 18. I started out as self medicating for terrible social anxiety and depression. I got put on medication for both but they were just more addictions. 10-12 drinks is/was a standard for me and it wasnt uncommon for me to polish off a fifth. This probably went on for 6 or so years

To be honest, I was probably in denial. In my family every man is an alcoholic in one way shape or form. Some are just higher functioning than others.

I think I realized I need to quit because Im pretty sure Im showing signs of Alcoholic neuropathy. My pinkys go numb and I get pins and needles in my feet constantly

I have benzos so withdrawals will be tolerable but not dangerous or fun but I just dont know where to go from here. Im 24, unemployed, and the majority of my friends are just drinking buddies. I can say I have maybe one friend. Everyone else is just fair weather. I fear that Ill drink again out of loneliness .

I dont know the point of this thread. Where do I go from here? Am I gonna be a slave to my addiction for the rest of my life? Where do I meet sober friends?
I went to AA for alcohol and Valium addiction. That was 1989. It's still working today.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-04-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

You will find most of us have some form of anxiety or depression and at one time alcohol helped lubricate us in social situations. Sadly, self medicating doesnt work for long and you end up realizing you are in the cycle of addiction. Oh and what a dreadful cycle it is, right?

Let me tell you though, you dont have to be in this cycle if you dont want to be. It may seem scary, but making changes usually are. Its worth it though, you can completely change your life around. I was SO much like you. I had my bar "friends", but always felt alone. I had anxiety and was miserable all the time (alcohol makes anxiety 100 times worse). You are young and now is the time to take control of this thing once and for all so you can get on with enjoying your life to the fullest.

When you get sober, you learn how to make real connections and friendships. You also learn how to deal with life's many issues and situations with a clear head. You gain confidence, which allows you to do things with your life you think are impossible right now. Will there be moments or loneliness or boredom? Absolutely, but you get a sense of yourself that is unreal, so being alone isnt as horrible as it may seem now. Give it a shot, if it doesnt work, try again. There are no limits on the number of tries you have towards bettering your life and getting sober, as long as you are indeed trying. being on this forum is a great first step and shows you are ready to step out of the life you are in now and strive for something better, and it will be better. Give it a shot and you may surprise yourself.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome chainsaw! I'm so glad you found us - you'll have many friends here who understand - you're not alone anymore.

I started out drinking for the same reasons you did. 30 years later my life was a disaster - I was completely dependent on it. It's good that you're doing something now rather than hiding your head in the sand like I did. I was determined to control the amounts I drank instead of giving it up all together. Willpower doesn't work for an alcoholic. I paid a terrible price to find that out. Be glad that at 24 you already see what needs to happen...you'll be saving yourself so much grief and pain.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too would suggest checking out some AA meetings. They're all over and they're free.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am also 24 and an alcoholic. 3rd day sober here for me. I've been drinking for ten years and I just can't continue in this way - the heart palpitations, the depression, the bruises, the regrets, the horrendous behaviour. My aunt died of pancreatitis and liver failure from her drinking, my grandfather was an alcoholic and I've watched my mum crawl on her hands and knees in the street, drunk. I don't want to go that way. And we are young, young enough to completely change our lives around and make our lives something to be proud of. I feel tired and fuzzy and like I could cry constantly. But I also have a small sliver of hope that tomorrow could be better.

Here if you want to talk
Old 06-04-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My pinkys go numb and I get pins and needles in my feet constantly

I fear that Ill drink again out of loneliness .

Where do I meet sober friends?
welcome
and
at least for starters for you
please stick around and share here as much as you wish
many of us have been through the process of sobering up

if you seek you will find the help and friends you need
Old 06-04-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm 21 and I'm also an alcoholic! It's good that were trying to do something about it while we're still young
Old 06-04-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is definitely a symptom of neuropathy, but I can't diagnose you and you shouldn't diagnose yourself. Do see a Dr. please.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses. Tbh I wasnt expecting any. I was part of a different forum and they werent as welcoming.

One day at a time right?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm 22 and I'm a recovering alcoholic. 13 months sober. I wish you the best of luck.

Also, after I got sober from booze the first time I started abusing benzos. You might want to eventually get off of them. Now on my 8th try getting sober and I'm 100% sober, except for caffeine, nicotine and my presribed meds. My meds aren't narcotics though so I do consider myself sober.

Either way, good luck and good job. It's hard when you're young. It's hard to grasp the concept of never drinking again.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Jesus christ its only day two and I'm going mad. It feels like everyone's mad at me and all I wanna do is fight. I wanna pull out my hair and it feels like my skin is one size too small.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

MrC - That sounds about right. Early withdrawal is awful - but once it's over you never have to suffer through it again. Things will settle down and get better.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The thing you need to remind yourself is you only need to do it once, if you give in, you're going to have to go through those feelings again.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Jules

Sorry Mrchainsaw. Welcome to the forum.

Maybe get out and get some fresh air and away from the people bugging you, that usually helps me. Or go get a bite to eat.

Some of the cravings hit me hard they passed when I got distracted. I also went to AA and it helped.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

MrChainsaw, you a young.
Sort it out now and dont give the drink any more time to cause problems in your life.
You can do it!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well, I relapsed tonight. I didnt think it would be this hard. After my last post I was pacing back and fourth and started punching the wall. Sweating. Scratching Non existent itches (if that makes sense), feeling restless and fell into the trap again.

Im going back to school in the fall and alcohol was a huge reason I dropped out (along with social anxiety). I dont need this garbage but I feel like its got a vice like death grip on me.

Ive had several family members die from alcoholic related complication. One was so bad his skin was yellow at his open casket funeral. I dont wanna be one of them. I feel like alcoholism is the family legacy. I feel like I let all of you down, even though I have never even seen your faces. Im sorry. I hope this forum will be as forgiving as it is welcoming.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Have you considered getting help with your detox? You might benefit from a medically supervised detox, from the sound of things.