Notices

The famous last drink...

Old 06-04-2013, 01:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The famous last drink...

My last drink...2 days ago, some cheap merlot aboard a transatlantic flight. I had planned this to be my last earlier the same day. I look back at how many 'last' drinks I've had before...probably a half a dozen. 6 months ago it was some vodka cooler drink. 2yrs ago it was a beer at a reception. 2.5yrs ago it was a beer with my dad. Nearly 3yrs ago it was a beer with a friend. How many 'last' drinks have you had? I really want mine to be that crappy house wine they serve on the plane. I contemplated keeping the bottle as a reminder but didn't. Today is just day 2 for me. I'll have little issue making it to the weekend but then come Friday the first challenges will arise. How does one go through a weekend without a beer or wine? I'm going to run, play with my kids, do some chores, watch a movie, post on SR, do some reading, cook a nice meal for my wife, and wake up with a clear head, no sweats, normal bp, and happy to be sober. Thanks for the support. I'm relying heavily on the brotherhood of SR to beat my demon this time around. Together we can do this!!
Old 06-04-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. I needed to get honest with myself and finally realize that if I don't pick up the first drink I don't have to get sober again. Today being Tuesday I don't concern myself with something 4 days away as so many things in life change and we so often have a plateful today. You have some healthy ideas about what your going to do, why pollute it with alcohol? Try to practice thinking about not drinking. BE WELL
Old 06-04-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sober.... You have quite a good list of distractions to make it through. However what has kept me sober 8 weeks was not distractions, yes those can help temporarily. What keeps me sober is learning to deal and react and make new associations.

When wanting to drink I try not to push or distract the thought away. I tend to look it In The eye and figure out why it's there. If it an emotional reason stress anxiety I roll with the emotion, emotions do pass and rather quickly if you dint fight them. Putting my feelings to paper is truly helpful. If its bordome then I distract.

This JUST my opinion but I find distracting from a craving only postponed it. Working through it however sets you up with new tools. I have slowly relearned to associate all the things I did drinking with new things. You can do this be patient with yourself and most importantly don't let it be ok to give up
Old 06-04-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by visch1 View Post
Hi. I needed to get honest with myself and finally realize that if I don't pick up the first drink I don't have to get sober again. Today being Tuesday I don't concern myself with something 4 days away as so many things in life change and we so often have a plateful today. You have some healthy ideas about what your going to do, why pollute it with alcohol? Try to practice thinking about not drinking. BE WELL
Thanks Visch. I hate the process of getting sober again. I think I hate this more than anything else in my life. Starting the cycle over and over again has become my routine. Well, this time I'm done. I have vowed that if I breakdown and have a drink, I'm going to rehab. That thought alone should be an adequate deterrent, I hope. Thanks for supporting!
Old 06-04-2013, 03:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=I hate the process of getting sober again. I think I hate this more than anything else in my life. Starting the cycle over and over again has become my routine. [/QUOTE]

I hear that! Well, I am sooooooo done with this cycle, we can do this!!!!