Notices

Hello

Old 06-03-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

My name is Lee and it is my third day without a drink.

Not really sure what I'm doing here.

Been drinking for 14 years very heavily and stopped Friday night when I was admitted by my partner to behavior health after he caught me trying to hang myself in my garage. I don't remember any of it.

I know I have to quit but not a fan of talking in groups (without a few drinks in me), so I'm going to try it myself.

The shrink at the hospital gave me some meds for withdraw to get through the first few days. So far just some chest pressure and anxiety.

Well guess that's the gist of it.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! There are many different methods to quitting and if you read around here for awhile, you'll see many of them working. But never rule anything out. Always be willing to add something if what you're doing is not working.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Welcome! Sounds like you are seriously jeopardizing your life if you don't quit. I quit on my own, but maybe you should have a plan for if you aren't successful on your own. I told myself the day I quit that if it didn't work this time, I was going to AA. No matter what. I used AVRT to quit on my own and it stuck. 1 year a few days ago. You might want to look into it.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been reading some of the post and it has help keep me busy the last few hours.

There are lots of great post and some really inspiring stories. This seems like a good place to keep me busy.

The shakes and headaches are starting to suck though. I've been readying they pass pretty quick so I'm gonna take a bike ride here in a bit to try to work off some excess anxiety and energy.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-03-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Lee,

Welcome to SR. There are a lot of people here who have been through the same things as you and came out the other side, clean and healthy.

Congrats on making this decision and your three days clean. After 14 years, that is something to be proud of.

I know you are suffering but I hope you stick with it and keep posting. I'm afraid that to continue drinking will end up getting you seriously injured or worse.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

I knew for the past few years drinking like I do was going to kill me eventually.

Like a lot of people I've been reading about on here I have a ton of guilt about the way I've behaved over the years.

After being admitted to the looney been for a few hours...I think that was my rock bottom. Not being allowed my cell phone and shoestrings put thing into perspective. lol
Old 06-03-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hugs to you. You are a person with an addiction that can and will get better if you choose.

Sincerely,
Living (formerly LiveorDie)
Old 06-03-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Lee

this is the most supportive place I know - glad you found your way here man

D
Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you, Lee. You are not alone - we've all been there.

I'm so glad you didn't harm yourself & that you reached out for some support. You don't need that toxic stuff in your life. You can do it!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found this site. It has been a great place for inspiration and words of wisdom as you yourself have discovered. I hope you stay around and seek out continued support. The journey can be tough at times but it is worth it in the long run. Many of us have learned that there is a lot to live for
Old 06-03-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Lee

Found a good place on SR for the early days which as you know only too well are not fun.

As you can tell , you are not alone and reaching out might be why you are here and I think that's a good sign. Trying to overcome alcohol all alone is very difficult and unnecessary as tons of support is out there and in here.

The awful physical feelings will go away over the next week or two but if you truly feel unwell , go seek medical assistance as withdrawal from alcohol can be serious.

There are lots of ways to approach sobriety and many of them are well described here. I doubt any of them are easy but chance are , if you're here , going on drinking is going to be more difficult.

Stick around and stay strong
Old 06-03-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My heart truly goes out to you! Thank god your partner found you! You have more living to do or you wouldn't be here. Getting sober hurts emotionally physically spiritually but only in the beginning. When the fog lifts and your brain dries from all the alcohol an awakening happens.... It's almost like when Dorothy (wizard if oz) opens her blackened room into a world of color (minus the little people )

You can do this keep posting and reading here it works!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Checking back in on day 8. I really want to drink and am going stir crazy. Not getting any pleasure out of everyday things that I used to do.

I can't stop thinking about going to get my Jim Beam and mow the lawn, wash my car, dishes, or walk my dogs withouth being lit. Nothing is the same and if I'm being completely honest...I am having zero fun.

Having just typed that and read it, I sound like a 34 year old infant throwing a fit. That's exactly what it feels like.

All the physical withdraw symptoms are gone besides not being able to sleep, even with the aide of sleeping pills. But the craving and the desire to say 'screw it, I need a drink' is defiantly on my mind every second of every day. I feel like a clock that was wound way too tight. It's definitely a wild roller coaster ride of emotions.

Another thing is, my partner has never known me sober...in the 13 years we've been together...hell, I've never known me sober as an adult, it's definitely weird getting to know myself clear headed and has been fantastic getting a fresh take on him and at least I made one right decision as a drunk.

On a positive note I lost the ten pounds I gained in my thirties lol
Old 06-09-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found the longer you stay sober the easier the pieces fit Stovokor
hang in there

D
Old 06-09-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Congrats... Welcome Again. Takes some adjusting, you'll get there. I'm on week 8 now and it gets better. Are you doing any kind of program? Some kind of support can really help.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
Congrats... Welcome Again. Takes some adjusting, you'll get there. I'm on week 8 now and it gets better. Are you doing any kind of program? Some kind of support can really help.
I'm not doing a program. I'm trying it on my own.

I'm a 'stay at home hubbie' so I just signed up to volunteer at the LGBT center and the local APA. Gotta find something to keep me occupied. Also thinking about getting something part-time to get me out of the house.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey getting out and about is a fabulous idea! Since you're struggling with nagging craves...yup, get the heck out of the house and get distracted...and guess what you might like it. Since you were wasted when you tried to off yourself...doesn't sound like you were having any fun drinking either.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Hey getting out and about is a fabulous idea! Since you're struggling with nagging craves...yup, get the heck out of the house and get distracted...and guess what you might like it. Since you were wasted when you tried to off yourself...doesn't sound like you were having any fun drinking either.
Good point!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Fell off the wagon hard. This really sucks.