Notices

Some help, advice and support please

Old 06-02-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some help, advice and support please

Hi there,
I've just joined this site. I think I have a drinking problem. My issue is that I don't fit the TV/film set stereotype of drinking bottles of vodka in secret, ruining my life, or drinking in the morning.

I only rarely get that 'god I need a drink feeling' and I only drink once a week really. Normally 'just the one' in the pub on a friday night. But when I start drinking I almost always can't stop, I feel totally out of control. Even when I plan to stay only for one I get very drunk. I am always the drunkest there, and when my friends head home I desperately try to find someone who is heading to a club so I can keep on drinking. I very regularly black out, and even when I don't I wake up with a crushing sense of remorse. I feel like running away, just disappearing, leaving my life behind. My post-drinking anxiety can last for days.

I have stopped drinking before (for around 3 months) , I thought I just needed a break to move away from old habits, clearly this hasn't worked. I have spoken to my mum and my girlfriend (who I live with) about possibly stopping drinking, they both act as if it is completely unnecessary. Maybe they don't realise the severity.

I feel like I am known for getting drunk, I am a extroverted person and love being the life of the party, people like me to get drunk and even louder.

I guess what I'm looking for is some validation that I have a problem.

I almost deleted all of this and didn't post because I felt I was belittling other's real problems. I am only 23.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Retep

There's no hierarchy on peoples problems here

If you think it's a problem then it's a problem - noone can really argue with that - and you'll find support to tackle that problem.

you'll actually find a lot of people here who identify with what you've posted...for myself, I was a binge drinker for many years before I became an all day everyday drinker.

Drinking defined me for many years - now other things define me. It is possible to change

D
Old 06-02-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Binge drinking is a form of alcoholism too. Not all drunks fit the stereotype. Whether or not your mom or gf think you have a problem is irrelevant. Your opinion is all that matters. And if you think you have a problem, you probably do. "Normal" social drinkers don't surf the net for recovery sites.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family! You'll find lots of support here in your quest to stay sober.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I agree with Dee that there are no more important or less important drinkers here. If its causing you problems (regret, anxiety, depression), then it's a problem. And this is a great place to get help with that problem. I also was a binge drinker but it became more and more frequent. I started to realize once I had one drink, my will power was shot and all bets were off. Now, by not taking that first drink, I have avoided all that went along with the binges for just over a year, and I've never regretted it. Keep reading and keep posting and put together a plan to stay sober!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I think you'll find others here who have the same pattern of drinking as you do. It's not that unusual. And, really, alcoholism isn't about how often or even how much you drink - it's about what happens to you when you do drink. I turned into a horrible person who I hated. So, I stopped drinking and you can too.

Don't worry too much about what your family/friends think about this. It's really hard for others to understand alcoholism.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
oak

Originally Posted by Retep View Post
I felt I was belittling other's real problems.
I used to have that thought a lot!

I do not fit what I consider the stereotype either. But alcohol is a problem in my life when I drink. And I prefer the way I feel sober, so I quit drinking.

Given that the anxiety afterwards can last for several days, that you often cannot stop at one drink, that you feel out of control, that you search for people so that you can continue drinking, that you black out, etc.- I can see why you are concerned. You have lots of red flags.

Life is so much easier without drinking.