Notices

Haven't said this in a very long time ..

Old 06-02-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Haven't said this in a very long time ..

But I need a drink !!! Almost six months sober but today has probably been the worst day yet. I have finals week this week and tomorrow is a 250 point final. I am stuck at our family business unable to leave because my mother decided to not come in. I'm trying to study here but there is so much material to be covered and its extremely busy today so I don't get much chance to study or concentrate. All I can think about is how now would be a time in the past where as soon as I leave here I would just drink and drink fast to make a bad day better. Helppppppppppppppppppppppppppp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Don't drink.

You've got finals. Focus on passing them. Not passing out drunk.

You have done six months. You can get through this.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Can you name even one thing that drinking now will help or make better? How about things it will make worse? Physically write a list and see how they match up.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Don't drink.

You've got finals. Focus on passing them. Not passing out drunk.

You have done six months. You can get through this.
That's the problem, I'm unable to focus on passing them because I'm stuck here. It's stressing me big time and I'm usually one to maintain composure.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

That's why we have an entire semester to keep studying the material well.....

You'll do well on your exam!!
Old 06-02-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Short term pleasure for long term pain?
Remember the traps and all the bad times.

Six months is really good and I believe it will get really better.

M.D. Major drunk 9-1 14
Old 06-02-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't let the fear and frustration get to you SHH.

It's good you're being responsible even if others aren't.

I'm sure you've studied before this - you'll still have the evening after work as well.

I'm sure you know a drink won't help - and it won't be just one.

stay strong.
D
Old 06-02-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay sober and study and get through your final exams.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't go to the all or nothing thinking....you may not have tonight to study as you wanted but chances are you have been reviewing more then you think you have. Don't look for an excuse to drink. Drinking makes everything worse and this is not the end of the world. You are stronger than this
Old 06-02-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies. I'm trying to relax and study just a little at a time. Feels like a holiday we are so busy today. The thing that's been bothering me is the amount of information I have to remember. Ill do what I can, however.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by SoberHappyHour View Post
But I need a drink !!! Almost six months sober but today has probably been the worst day yet. I have finals week this week and tomorrow is a 250 point final. I am stuck at our family business unable to leave because my mother decided to not come in. I'm trying to study here but there is so much material to be covered and its extremely busy today so I don't get much chance to study or concentrate. All I can think about is how now would be a time in the past where as soon as I leave here I would just drink and drink fast to make a bad day better. Helppppppppppppppppppppppppppp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont do it, you will fee HORRIBLE afterwards and its not worth it. Think of all the progress you have made and how crappy it will feel having to start over. They don't tell you this, but if you drink, even once, all the healing your brain and body have started gets erased and you are back right where you started. Also, every time you do relapse, it makes the next detox worse than the previous. Think of that, and nail those finals.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello SHH,
Do not flunk the sobriety exam! That is the most important test you have to take, and you have been excelling for 6 months! Be very, very thankful for the opportunity to take your finals as you are, and even more thankful that you will wake up sober tomorrow. These days will come...and they will pass. They get easier to deal with the longer you are sober, and you have almost 6 months invested. Do your best, take care of yourself, and you will love how you feel at 7 months sober!
You did the right thing reaching out to this group. I did not and blew 9 months sober, never again. Nothing is worth losing that.
I hope your day has gotten a little less crazy, you are doing a remarkable job working and going to school.
Thank you for your post.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much ! I got off work yesterday and studied as much as I can, then woke up early to study a little more before class and ended up doing pretty well today ! And I am very happy that I have all of you here to turn to in times like that .. I would feel so bad had I drank instead. I thought I was completely over alcohol and yesterday it just kept coming up I was so stressed and felt helpless stuck at work. That's why I posted here, thankfully.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on the final and congrats in getting through your stress without turning to the hooch

Hard work is rewarded.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

great that you did well SHH!

D
Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations SHH,
You have so much to be proud of! 6 months sober and doing well in school, working hard at your job. Keep your eye on the prize....one day at a time. It does get easier, and your mind and body will relearn how to react when things get tough.
Stress will do that. For me, it adds up, and sneaks up on me, I think I am doing very well....then boom, I feel like the only thing that will relieve the anxiety and stress is the old bottle. That is why SR and the group of friends here are so valuable, for those days.
Enjoy your day! You are a champion! Be very proud.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

way to go, SHH!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueSkiesAhead View Post
Congratulations SHH,
You have so much to be proud of! 6 months sober and doing well in school, working hard at your job. Keep your eye on the prize....one day at a time. It does get easier, and your mind and body will relearn how to react when things get tough.
Stress will do that. For me, it adds up, and sneaks up on me, I think I am doing very well....then boom, I feel like the only thing that will relieve the anxiety and stress is the old bottle. That is why SR and the group of friends here are so valuable, for those days.
Enjoy your day! You are a champion! Be very proud.
Thank you so much for your encouragement and compliments. Means a lot. How long have you been sober ? I think that's what happened to me. I've been so happy to be sober but I had stress as well but it wasn't getting me down. I've seemed to learn to deal with stress better since getting sober. But the other day it seemingly all built up to a point where I didn't kno what to do like I have lately, it was overwhelming. However, now that I got that done .. Couple more finals and ill be free from school for the summer !
Old 06-04-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You can do this. I have a ton of school work myself, and drinking is not going to help me get through it at all. Breathe in and out. You are doing very well. Remember that your school is the priority. No drinks for you!