Notices

So now what?

Old 06-02-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool So now what?

I am starting today by listing all of the reasons I do not want to drink. Also a list of all the things I can possibly do when I am feeling the urge to drink. Things like get on the treadmill, read a chapter in my book, download a new song, go for a drive, go to the park with my kids, play a videogame or boardgame, cook something new, etc. I am also really hoping some of you successful sober friends can suggest a good inspirational book. I need one that is not all religion and prayer as I am not very religious. I still want and need something to read and inspire me with advice, tools, etc.

Wendie
Old 06-02-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jason vales kick the drink easily!! Easy to read, straight down the line and will change the way you think about drink forever. It really helped me. Like the sound of yours lists btw I think a list and having a plan with goals really helps. Good luck to you my friend! X
Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dont have any book recommendations, but I wanted to say that making a list is a great tool. There are plenty of things to do to fill the time. Before you know it, that list will be the "Norm" of your life. Great work keep it up!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read something from one of those acronym recovery tools (SMART? Or AVTRN something) that was really useful for me as someone recently hopping on and off the wagon. Maybe someone knows the link. Basically our tendency is to fight the urges and try to ignore them, but better when they come to accept them and explore what is going on in your head. Why is my body doing this? Why is my mind doing this? Let your addiction run wild as it tries to get you back, so you can understand it better.

Anyway that has helped me, especially when really stressed and in scenarios where normally I'd throw my hands up an say screw it I'm having a beer
Old 06-02-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Check out our book list in the Stickies. There are lots of good ideas there.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I read books suggested here. Caroline Knapp, Augusten Burroughs, Pete Hamill, Under the Influence is good for health info.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wrote a similar list Wendie and I think I would have been lost without it. And reading recovery books has been a major help to me and really helped keep me grounded. I found reading books of people's experiences really useful. Augusten Burroughs Dry and Caroline Knapp's Drinking: A love story were the two I started with. There are some good ones in the back of the big book too. I'd recommend looking at the list in the stickies. I just floated around amazon buying recovery books that popped up. I've got quite a collection now.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I drank in my kitchen. I pretty much isolated myself for the 7 years. I had made a list of things to do after rehab. The activities included reading, meditation, cooking, walking in my town. What I ended up doing was getting back in the world with people. AA works for me, I'm not suggesting it for you. but, it works for me ! So, I go to meetings 6 days a week. I joined my local gym back in December. My routine is: I just naturally wake up early now, feeling great. Head to the gym, home to shower, then my daily Noon meeting. Until 2 weeks I used the bus to get around, or walked ( for the last 5 1/2 months). A unplanned bonus of being with people again. I hope me sharing this helps just a bit. :-D