Notices

New guy here

Old 06-02-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New guy here

Hey yall just wanted to come here and introduce myself. My name is Roman Campbell and I'm here to begin my road to recovery. I've been an alcoholic since I was about 18, I'm 25 now. Anyway, God spared my life Friday morning at about 1am. I wrecked my truck, by the grace of God no one else was involved. I destroyed my truck and spent the night in jail. There is no doubt that I have a serious problem. I'm tired of alcohol trying to destroy my life. My wife deserves so much better than this and I have so much remorse for what I've already put her through. It will be a long time before I gain her trust again. But I had my last drop of alcohol that day. Please pray for me I as I begin this process.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Ronan you've come to a great place!
Old 06-02-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Roman!

Hello Roman,

I am also new. I am on day 1. Last night I hit my dog on my four wheeler and couldn't even drive myself home the rest of the way because I kept almost hitting trees. My husband had to leave his wheeler in order to drive me home. My dog is fine but what if I would have hurt her? What if I crashed? I have 3 kids to be alive for. I am so thankful to have finally admitted I am an alcoholic and need help. We really are not alone in this sickness!

Good luck to you, be strong!
Old 06-02-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome roman...

i'm new here, too (day 7)... and i just want to welcome you and send good thoughts out to you.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Roman & wchope...I'm on Day 2, will be going to my first meeting tomorrow
Old 06-02-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome and congratulations on your decision to stop drinking. Unfortunately deciding to stop drinking and stopping drinking are two different things. It could be 2 days 2 weeks 2 months or two years but eventually alcohol will tell you it was not that bad. That you just need to cut back that you can't drink and drive or anyone of a thousand different lies alcohol will tell you. Alcoholism is just a symptom of other problems.

I decided to quit drinking many times but it was not until I found AA that I actually did. AA has saved millions from this deadly disease. Find an AA meeting in your area and check it out I am sure that you will be glad you did.

I would suggest that you educate yourself about this foe that you're dealing with because it is cunning baffling and powerful. it has one goal and one goal only and that goal is to have you dead.

Sobriety is a sequence of steps and you have taken the first one best of luck and post often.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Roman - welcome! Sounds like you've had a big scare, I'm sorry to hear about it but glad nobody was seriously injured. As others have said, this is a baffling and cunning addiction that even the most brilliant people have trouble with. You've decided to stop drinking and that's awesome - how are you going to make this happen? Soberrecovery is a great place to find ideas, hope you stick around!
Old 06-02-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've tried to quit on my own many times. I stayed sober for 10months one time. This is too much for me to battle on my own so I'm getting a therapist and I'm going to start going to AA. This is not something I can do on my own. I may be motivated to stop right now, but I've been motivated before but like yall said before, after a while alcohol will begin telling me that it isn't that big of a deal. But I know that's a lie.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Bossier City...is that here in Louisiana?

If so, we have a few here in SR from our wonderful
state of Louisiana representing recovery.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by romanerin2011 View Post
I've tried to quit on my own many times. I stayed sober for 10months one time. This is too much for me to battle on my own so I'm getting a therapist and I'm going to start going to AA. This is not something I can do on my own. I may be motivated to stop right now, but I've been motivated before but like yall said before, after a while alcohol will begin telling me that it isn't that big of a deal. But I know that's a lie.
Roman you are miles ahead of most because you know the foe that you're dealing with. In many ways knowing what doesn't work is as important as knowing what does. Therapy and AA are a great combination. If possible find a therapist who is in recovery and never put anything ahead of your recovery. Anything that you put a head of your recovery you will lose if you drink.

Sobriety brings gifts you cannot imagine stay strong and never pick up the first drink.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Anonymity

Hello Roman!

Welcome to SR!
This is a wonderful, friendly and supportive community, I'm sure you'll find it very helpful as you start your journey.

Just a thought, I wonder if it might be better not to put your real name (if that is indeed your real name). I'm sure I read somewhere here that if you put your real name in posts, it can show up in a google search?
Maybe others could verify this (or not, as the case may be).
Good luck!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I remember going to jail for drinking and driving. The guy who came to get me said the only way to go from here is up. He meant getting sober.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well been sober for 4 days now. I don't know what it is but I just keep pacing around the house. Not sure what I feel right now...hopeless, depressed, foggy. I feel anything but happy right now. The shame I've brought into my family. Trust I've completely destroyed. I keep saying that in a year or so I'll look back on this and say that ordeal saved my life and marriage. I just want it to be over. I want to feel normal again.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 2 here. People aren't meant to be alone in there pain. I'm glad to see some other newbies here in their first week. I don't remember driving my truck home on Sunday but it got here and that scares me. Not the first time but I want it to be the last. I'm so scared I'm going to hurt somebody.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I destroyed my truck and nearly killed myself. That's all I can think about. And the shame of being arrested. Having to call my wife and tell her I'm going to jail. Complete and total shame. I never want to drink something that makes me someone I'm not and do things I'd never do sober. Right now I'm motivated to quit but that's why I'm going to a therapist now cause I know alcohol will come back and deceive me.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Therapy is awesome. I'm going myself. I didn't start going to her over the drinking but sure enough..didn't it get round to it eventually. My last session with her it came up and she told me it was something I should think about; giving it up. At the time she said that..I had no intention of it...but I do now.
I'm so sorry about your truck..and the arrest. That sort of scenario is precisely what I'm terrified of but it's coming if I don't quit. I know it. I ended up in a pub with friends on Sunday afternoon and it resulted in me turning into a drunken slovenly mess. I got into a verbal altercation with another female who dissed me because her man was speaking to me about a job he was actually doing for my mother. At any rate, when I got upset at what she said..the guy beside me (who I know also has a drinking problem) said..never mind her..she's just a drunk.

Somewhere in my mind..I know somebody has said those words about me...I don't like the company I"m keeping anymore. I want more out of life than being some drunk in a pub on a sunny sunday afternoon...who just might kill someone or herself on the way home.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. There are people feeling the same way (I know that doesn't always help). I'm 23 and not far from Bossier myself. In fact, I have to go there tonight to take care of some stuff. You never know who may be experiencing the same thing right under your nose. Stay strong.