Need clarity re, "don't take meds w alcohol"

Old 06-01-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need clarity re, "don't take meds w alcohol"

When the doctors say, Don't take med with alcohol, it's unclear to me what that really means. Can anyone clarify this?

Does it mean, just don't swallow it with alcohol? Does it mean it's okay to have a beer or glass of wine and then take it an hour later? Is it okay to take the med and then drink a couple beers/wine a few minutes later?

When I asked my DH's doctor to clarify, he said alcohol increases the side effects of the med. Thus, if the med tends to make you feel sleepy, that effect will be increased. At the time I asked the doctor for clarification, he wasn't more specific than that and I didn't know I needed to ask more specific questions.

Is it that simple? Is there any more to it than that? (It's not enough reason for my dh to abstain that's for sure. He doesn't mind falling asleep.)

Thanks for any clarity on this.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It depends on the specific medication. Generally warnings to avoid alcohol with a drug means that they potentiate each other, i.e. 2+2=9

Punch alcohol and your prescribed drug into this drug interaction checker to find out what may happen. Of course, this site is no substitute for speaking directly with your doctor:

Drug Interactions
Old 06-01-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear Neagrm, generally this means not to have alcohol and the drug in question in your system at the same time. Alcohol can greatly intensify the effects of some drugs---sometimes to a very dangerous level. For example, xanax and alcohol greatly potentiate each other--resulting in many accidental overdoses. This is particularly true for drugs that have an effect on the central nervous system.

Other times, alcohol may interfere with the absorbtion of certain drugs from the digestive tract. For instance, many antibiotics.

Is this helpful?

dandylion
Old 06-01-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

"When the doctors say, Don't take med with alcohol, it's unclear to me what that really means. Can anyone clarify this?"

It means don't take with alcohol.

If the doctor says anything else and something bad happens, he/she could be sued, loose a lot of money as well as his/her license and do some jail time.

Mixing alcohol with certain meds may create a very nice feeling, but also greatly increases the chance of dying from doing so. I really would not play around with semantics with this one.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Is it that simple? Is there any more to it than that? (It's not enough reason for my dh to abstain that's for sure. He doesn't mind falling asleep.)"

Especially with addicts, this is dangerous as the body's tolerance becomes increasing compromised, what put you to sleep (dosage wise) could kill you after a while. Further, there is the "chasing the dragon effect" which means addicts are inclined to increase dosage to get the same feeling they initially got.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My exABF is on prescription anti anxiety meds from shrink.
He drinks on them frequently. It's 2+2=9 exactly.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And frightening. It's frightening.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My AH's psychiatrist told me that it meant 'don't drink at all' because most medications are meant to stay in the system for almost 24 hours if they are a once daily dose. He is on 3 meds that all have alcohol warnings: an antidepressant, a stimulant for ADHD(strattera), and a sleep med(Ambien). He will still drink and that's really what scares me the most. He'll have 3-4 beers and it will appear like he's had an entire bottle of gin(you know like a BIG bottle). He just doesn't get it.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you read the pamphlet with most meds (or wiki it) they are injested and there for go through your liver.

A lot of drugs that say don't drink, if its not cus of double sedative effects then its cus the drug is going to be harsh on the liver if you drink aswell.

For example if it says: do not take if you have history of liver or kidney problems, it usually means not a good idea to drink on them.

There is another exception tho... like with some antibiotics the alcohol can cancel out the medication making it pointless to take them but still overloading your system.

Result = Dont drink if it's not recommended and you want to get well/stay well.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone. It's clearer now. Of course I understand the direction about not drinking with meds. It was when my husband said what he thought it meant that I became confused about the specifics and your comments help a lot.

My husband thinks it means not swallowing the pill/s with alcohol in that moment. It seems the doctor isn't much concerned about it, however. I hope he's not hurting his liver, but who knows. He does seem to have an iron stomach, but I realize that doesn't say anything about what's happening to the liver.

Maybe I can point him to something on Google that says it clearly so he won't discount it coming from me.

Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear Neagrm, Do you think his position sounds suspiciously like QUACKING? While a person conceivably get confused o n the semantics--I suspect a pro-drinking motivation.

I absolutely understand your concern--he is, no doubt, taking a risk with his body. However, the compulsion to continue drinking is so strong with an alcoholic, I doubt that he would just stop, cold turkey, for the sake of medication compliance.

You can't control him. You can turn yourself into a pretzel trying to control an alcoholic's self-destructive behaviors.

dandylion
Old 06-03-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

2 + 2 = 9 was the reason I always drank on meds that said don't, to intensify the effects.

Along with the fact that I couldn't not drink. Sick, sick, sick.