Notices

Rough Day In Store

Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rough Day In Store

Hello All,

All signs point to a dramatic and stressful parenting day. My husband is gone all day today with performances and I have to take my 10-year-old son to an orchestra audition today. I just felt like writing my worries out, since I know no matter what, he will be upset with his performance...with lots of tears and drama.

I love my son very much, but sometimes I need the strength and sense of humor of another person to help with his moods.

Also, our best friend is in labor right now, and I am stressed because she is doing a home birth. I am babysitting her 4-year-old daughter who is best friends with my daughter. They LOVE to gang up on my son, too.

Whew! Feel better getting that off my chest!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

1stthingsfirst, damn the torpedos, full steam ahead. You are FANTASTIC.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nefer,

You made me laugh, and while I was at it, I reread what I wrote and it really did seem so insignificant of an issue. I can do this - I do it every day and with love and humor for my dramatic, perfectionist child.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good morning 1st!

Oh my goodness, your son sounds just like me as a kid!!! Bless you!

Have fun with the kiddos. As loud as the car may get, it probably still beats laboring at home. Actually, it probably beats laboring in a hospital, too
Old 06-01-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not insignificant. Being a Mom and feeling confident you're doing the right thing is not always easy. Hopefully you will be able to deal with your son's moods. Home births are very scary indeed, so fingers crossed.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sending you positive vibrations of calm and clarity. You can do this!
Old 06-01-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Home births aren't scary at all with a trained midwife. I had a midwife, all natural, no hospital birth and it was amazing and my son is perfect. So try not to worry about your friend. She made a huge decision and I bet it was a well planned one.

As for your son, hopefully he's happier than you expect, but if not, you'll get through! Good luck!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Hang with the kids, sit on the floor and closely monitor their words and play today.

Relive your own childhood. I bet you can color a picture real well....build a cool Lego building and have a nice tea party with those dolls and stuffed animals.....

I wish you an awesome day!
Old 06-01-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all- an update:

My son played very well on his audition and was in a wonderful, relaxed mood! He got into the orchestra he wanted! I am so proud of him.

My friend has been laboring since 4 AM this morning, when her water broke. That makes 10 hours and 20 minutes. I am really concerned - this is agonizing and I hope she is okay. Husband said she is having a rough time. I am worried. Their daughter is with us now and I bought matching outfits for they girls. They are playing with ponies and are being really nice to my son and seem happy. I am crossing my fingers for my friend, hope her and her new baby boy are okay.

I have to be honest. Dealing with this type of anxiety is hard. I really would like to have a couple of beers and/or wine. That is what sobriety is all about, I guess - making it to new benchmarks and levels of stress without resorting to alcohol, the easy fix.

Thanks so much for the support and encouragement. It helps so much!!! I feel so fortunate to have a wonderful support group here at SR.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I will pray for your friend. I'm sure they'll transport her if she goes too long. Sounds like you've had a wonderful day otherwise! Congrats to your son!
Old 06-01-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad things went well with your son, and I'm sure they'll go well with your friend too 1st.

congratulations on negotiating the day

D
Old 06-01-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How wonderful for your son! You must be so proud!

Can you get any physical activity in to burn off that nervous energy? Maybe dig out a flower bed, or instigate a game of chase the flag (or kick the can!) with the kids? Or for some real giggles and squeals maybe even set up an old-fashioned slip-and-slide! I'm just thinking of something physical to metabolize the stress hormones.

Sending good wishes to you and your friend.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The day ended up to be quite stressful in the end. My friend had a lot of trouble with the delivery and I heard paramedics, ambulance, etc. running down toward the direction of her house. It turned out that her next door neighbor had the emergency. She and the baby are fine, but had a very hard day. I am grateful that they are alive and well.

My son ended up having a massive uber-meltdown that raged for 5 hours. The girls did not help and were rude to him, as expected. Husband came home from day of LA traffic, rehearsals and a performance and was super grumpy since the kids were out of sorts. Ack! He drinks a couple glasses of wine to calm down and I am still cleaning up the house and trying to relax.

Days like this are hard. This is why I started drinking. I have to be honest - It is difficult to live with intense people, especially when you tend to be the same way. --Deep breaths! I did make it through sober!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Instead of looking it as stressful, look at it as a learning experience where you can learn to work through these stresses without chemical help. Every-time you are faced with something stressful and don't turn to booze, you gain momentum. You also build confidence and acquire knowledge on facing those types of situations in the future. Embrace these challenges, as you will feel amazing when you overcome them.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by 1stthingsfirst View Post
The day ended up to be quite stressful in the end. My friend had a lot of trouble with the delivery and I heard paramedics, ambulance, etc. running down toward the direction of her house. It turned out that her next door neighbor had the emergency. She and the baby are fine, but had a very hard day. I am grateful that they are alive and well.

My son ended up having a massive uber-meltdown that raged for 5 hours. The girls did not help and were rude to him, as expected. Husband came home from day of LA traffic, rehearsals and a performance and was super grumpy since the kids were out of sorts. Ack! He drinks a couple glasses of wine to calm down and I am still cleaning up the house and trying to relax.

Days like this are hard. This is why I started drinking. I have to be honest - It is difficult to live with intense people, especially when you tend to be the same way. --Deep breaths! I did make it through sober!

I wont pretend to know what your life is like, but from your posts, it appears obvious you need to make some social circle changes. First of all, your husband doesnt seem to be too supportive throwing back wine when you are only on 5 days sober. Most loving partners would be more sensitive to your plight. Its your journey, but everyone needs support and if you cant get it from your spouse, then where? You may need to re-examine the people in your world and make some hard changes in order to be a success.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

At this point, I am 15 days sober... but still early on. Yes, you are right - I wish he would eliminate the alcohol from the house. All in all, he is a very kind and supportive partner, father and husband. He is having a stressful day and works several jobs - It really does not help when both parents are overwhelmed. My husband and I have been married for a long time and we definitely are still happy in our marriage.

Being a parent is taxing. Just had one of those days. I am glad I made it through without alcohol.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

I have no kids, just a fat cat, lol. I wish you the best and 15 days is AMAZING. I really hope you stick to it and find the inner peace you want in life.