Notices

Cant find peace

Old 05-31-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant find peace

I have had 49 days sober today, after numerous attempts at staying sober my danger zone is always at 90 days. That is when I relaspe and hate myself over and over again. This time around after 30 days of meetings and finding a sponser and really working the program I decided to do 90 meetings in 90 days I am on my 16th day of this commitment.
My problem is that I feel so sad at all the damage I did when I was drinking. I have 2 children,a daughter at 31 yrs and a son at 34 years and 4 grandkids. I have been married for 34 years. I have hurt my daughter and my husband more than anyone. Even though I tell myself I am a very good person I feel so guilty and so sad when I think of the things I did and said when I was drinking. I live with this guilt and I cant shake it. I do have a higher power that I have begged to relieve me of this guilt. My husband has forgiven me and he still loves me after the mess I became. My daughter is still in my life and even though she pulled away for awhile. I want her forgivness more than anything but I feel it is too soon to ask her. I dont have any desire to drink but I cannot find peace yet. Can someone please help me.

Sober58
Old 05-31-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Trust takes time. Unfortunately you may just have to wait it out. But you're doing the right thing. Show her through your actions that you mean it this time.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR

I think it takes time Sober - we have to heal, and so do our loved ones and our relationships.

We can;t do much about anything that happened yesterday - but we can do a lot about what happens today.

Have faith and keep doing what you know is right.

I really do believe it all works out in the end

D
Old 05-31-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

and congrats on your sober time. Regaining your daughter's trust will take time but with action on your part it should happen. Show her that you've changed and she'll notice it for herself. It will take time but be patient, it will happen.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober58 View Post
I have had 49 days sober today, after numerous attempts at staying sober my danger zone is always at 90 days. That is when I relaspe and hate myself over and over again. This time around after 30 days of meetings and finding a sponser and really working the program I decided to do 90 meetings in 90 days I am on my 16th day of this commitment.
My problem is that I feel so sad at all the damage I did when I was drinking. I have 2 children,a daughter at 31 yrs and a son at 34 years and 4 grandkids. I have been married for 34 years. I have hurt my daughter and my husband more than anyone. Even though I tell myself I am a very good person I feel so guilty and so sad when I think of the things I did and said when I was drinking. I live with this guilt and I cant shake it. I do have a higher power that I have begged to relieve me of this guilt. My husband has forgiven me and he still loves me after the mess I became. My daughter is still in my life and even though she pulled away for awhile. I want her forgivness more than anything but I feel it is too soon to ask her. I dont have any desire to drink but I cannot find peace yet. Can someone please help me.

Sober58
Stick with your sponsor and the oldtimers, they will guide you through the process. Don't spend too much time in your head alone for a while. Get numbers to call in your group and use them.

The 9th Step Promises will come true for you as they have for millions of AAs.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-31-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA give me all that you are asking for plus more than I could imagine. The fellowship saved my life my marriage and my relationship with loved ones. it did not happen in a day or a week or even a year but it did happen. I learned a new way to live and the promises followed. It worked when all else failed.

It has worked for millions and can work for you too if you want it bad enough
Old 05-31-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All of the suggestions of the fellowship are great, they really are, but when the rubber meets the road they will not keep you from not drinking, they will only provide incentive to not drink. If you are truly powerless over your drinking and using and whatever else makes your life unmanageable, then only by finding power will you be able to not drink in spite of yourself, even if you want to.

It says in the 12 and 12, in step 3, that "This is the way to a faith which works".

My defense against drinking and using does not come from me, from the program, from the 12 steps, from my service, from my knowledge, from my horrible experiences or from anything else in this world. It come from that power I surrendered to in step 3 and continue to do in step 11.

From my experience, having relapsed several times because I was trying to run the show, I can only say work the steps. Come to believe that something can provide that defense and ask that something to provide that defense.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

in God's timing

Originally Posted by Sober58 View Post

My problem is that I feel so sad at all the damage I did when I was drinking.

I have hurt my daughter and my husband more than anyone.

I feel so guilty and so sad when I think of the things I did and said when I was drinking.

I live with this guilt and I cant shake it.
this is very common for most who get sober
yes -- the wreckage of my past was horrendous
the best thing that we can do for the ones whom we hurt is
just keep staying sober one day at a time
we don't look way down the road
but
I must say
most who have been sober for a few years
have mended most bridges with loved ones

the trouble for drunks and addicts such as myself is
even without much time sober under our belts
we want a normal life to be back with us and our families ASAP
we need to remember
it all takes time ------------ in God's timing

and
it won't ever happen if we don't keep the plug in the jug
Old 05-31-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sober,

I understand how you feel overwhelmed with the guilt of what has happened. I struggled very much with the same thing when I stopped drinking. My children are grown now, too, with their own children. It was long ago that I drank - my daughter was 16 to 19 yrs, my son was 18 to 21 yrs. My daughter was furious with me, she had so much anger. It took a long time to regain her trust and I didn't know if I ever would. It was truly the hardest part of recovery for me because I just didn't know what would happen.

Things have worked out amazingly well and both my children entrust their children with me, without concern. In my years of recovery I continue to make quiet amends to my daughter and to my son, and I will until the day I die. It's what I have to do.

You can get through this. Journaling helped me a lot.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Sober58,
I can relate to the guilt. For a long time after I sobered up I felt very undeserving of all the good things that were happening to me.

I just wonder if you could answer a question for me, which might help me put together a more helpful response to your post.

Can you describe what you mean by the statement "really working the program"?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It sounds like it will take time. However, if you're serious about getting sober and serious about AA, I strongly believe your children will notice and probably be very proud of you, but they may not say anything early in the proccess. Try to keep that thought in your mind as you work on staying sober.

IMO, redemption is something that can't be rushed. BTW, guilt is really a useless emotion. No matter how guilty you feel, it will not undo the damage that was done in the past, nor will it help you or your family heal. However, getting and staying sober, and becoming the good person that you really are can help both you and your family members heal.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi. I said so many I'm sorrys while drinking they were just lies to their ears. Once the plug was in the jug I didn't need to say it very often and when the trust did return it was meaningful. BE WELL
Old 06-01-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ah, I know that feeling so well. I was consumed with guilt and it robbed me each and every day of any peace I had. It was a bit of a rude awakening for me to find out that when actively drinking, I didn't operate in a vacuum, and the same was true as I got sober. As a matter of fact, I had estranged family and friends that liked to throw my behaviors at me, and I felt it deeply.

My counselor told me I had to remind myself that that was then and this is now. To family & friends: Thanks for the reminder, but I don't do that anymore! It was in the small daily acts of kindness to myself and others that helped me get out of that thought pattern. The best gift I could give to myself and others was the gift of not drinking and kindness, and through putting my best foot forward each day, the rewards would be reaped cumulatively. It was no lie when I was promised that this would happen.

I found it was the actions that counted, and not just the words. Stay the course, drop all judgments and keep that hope alive. It is all those little steps we take each day to reach the top of the mountain