Notices

New pet

Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New pet

Now that I am over 6 months sober, have a safe place to live and know I can be responsible I have made the decision to take on a pet. I also live with my fiancée and his brother, so it is a decision we all discussed at length and we decided we were ready to have maybe a small dog or cat to look after. We went to the shelter here in San Diego and looked around. It was breaking my heart you guys I wanted to take them all home! So many great loving little souls needing a home! Finally we found this cat; we asked the program director which ones had been there the longest and which ones she thought were most deserving of a chance... She showed us this male cat who is a bit older (7 years) but very healthy and extremely friendly and gentile. They told us that he was rescued off the street in bad shape, he's never had a proper home. We got to know him and we just fell in love with him. His name is Wilson. He's such a great little guy! So anyway that's my big news for now. I'm sober and I'm laying here in bed next to my new "old man" cat who is so happy to have a place to live - he purrs up a storm all night sleeping next to us. I'm truly blessed and glad I did this. It's a great reward of sobriety to be able to rescue a shelter pet and provide for that animal. I could not have done this while I was loaded - too selfish and not good with responsibilities back then. So I just wanted to share the story and encourage anyone looking for a pet to consider going to the shelter or humaine society as there are SO many homeless dogs and cats out there who need us! Thanks for reading and have a good day all!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
jkb

That is such a happy and inspirational post. Good for you and yay for Wilson. I am so happy for you on 6 months sober and happy that he finally has a soft place to fall.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Your an Animal, (Meow), Its in your nature! I have a feeling Wilson will have an awesome home.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WILSON!!!

Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am so happy to hear this. Cats are wonderful. I have a brother and sister, and they are the light of my life. Wilson will bring you so much joy!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

I Lost My Dog To Hip Displacia Last Year. Oh How Bad I Want Another. I Plan On Going To The Shelter Tomorrow. Lots Of People Here On SR Have Pets For Company And To Share Times With. I Have Always Had A Pet. Good Luck With it
Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BabyJane View Post
Now that I am over 6 months sober, have a safe place to live and know I can be responsible I have made the decision to take on a pet. .....She showed us this male cat who is a bit older (7 years) but very healthy and extremely friendly and gentile.
I didn't know you could tell that about a cat? Big Grin.

Kidding aside - congratulations on your kittie. Male cats are usually the biggest sucks.

Genie
Old 05-31-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awww...great post! Congratulations on Wilson and for being the type of human being to give an older animal a chance at a loving home. I used to work at shelters and it broke my heart to see all of the wonderful "adults and seniors" passed over for the puppies and kittens.

Sounds like you have a wonderful new friend, enjoy each other and congrats on your continued sobriety as well!
Old 05-31-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Haha Charlie. I love that movie.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-31-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on yo ur new friend!
Old 05-31-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats! I have 4 cats and love them like children...when I was 3.5 months sober, I adopted a little shelter dog too...and adult Pom...his name is Sammy (aka The Samster)...he loves cats but dislikes big dogs. it is so much better to take him for a walk than to hide in the house drinking.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A pet will do wonders for your soul and stability. You will get love unconditionally. I'm so glad you went to a shelter to find yours. Grats on your new companion and on the sobriety.

Fantastic Ref Charlie! I rofl'd.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good deal! It was wonderful of you to adopt.

I have four cats but my snuggler is my ten year old male Igor aka Mr. McSnugglePuss.

He sleeps on my pillow every night. He purrs up a storm and licks my hand. I just love him to pieces.

All my pets give me some peace and serenity.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That is so wonderful you've chosen to adopt . Especially an older pet! Congratulations on your sober time too!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am so happy for you and Wilson. Adopting an older shelter cat is wonderful since they're often passed over for kittens. Thank you for adopting Wilson!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Three cheers for BabyJane and Wilson! A new beginning for both of you. I'm so glad you went to the shelter and got him - what a wonderful thing to do.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What a wonderful thing to do. I volunteer for an animal rescue shelter so I know first hand how many pets out there need good homes. It breaks my heart. You are going to get love back from that cat in spades. Thank you.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

BabyJane, Congratulations on your sobriety and on rescuing a cat from a shelter. What a great thing to do! I think Wilson and you will have many wonderful years together.