Notices

Fake it til you make it

Old 05-30-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fake it til you make it

The first couple of months of my sobriety were tough. I felt like a person learning how to walk again. Without my crutch (alcohol), I didn't know which way was up, down or sideways. I worried about how I would get through everything without drinking. I projected a lot. It drove me nearly insane and sometimes I thought about going back to the bottle. At meetings and here on SR people would say "Don't think, don't drink, just go to meetings", "Take it one day at a time", "Stay where your feet are". These are simple statements and suggestions but I didn't really comprehend it. So I just started acting as IF I understood. I kept going to meetings. I made friends. I started laughing. And then in some meetings I cried. I still do.

If I could turn my positive recovery feelings into a tangible item, I would lend them to anyone who is struggling to get sober. One day at a time I now live a better life. I am humbled by my sobriety and amazed I haven't taken a drink. The old me is still here but she's not as fearful anymore. She knows what to do when life strikes and things seem off balance. She simply asks another alcoholic in recovery for help. Or to just listen. It's an awesome concept and I notice that it has become a habit for me. I love that I'd rather come on here or go to a meeting and be around people than drink at home alone. Sorry this is so long...I just want to say to anyone who is considering sobriety to really give it a shot. You can always go back to drinking. Maybe one day I will. It is not a goal of mine but I know I can't go beyond today because the present is all we really have. Thanks SR peeps, for everything
Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice post. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Kinda' like an out of body experience for awhile is what I'm feeling at week 6. Getting better... Act like a sane person to become one; sounds crazy, but I think its true.

Mush doggies! Onward to a place called Promise!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yup elegantly... I felt like was surreal in the beginning... Even waking up without a hangover was confusing to me lol you're right where you are supposed to be. Keep moving forward