Notices

Drinking vs Drinking...

Old 05-30-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking vs Drinking...

My general understanding at this point of this site is that a lot of you have concerns and/or are dealing with your alcohol/drug/addiction problems and I absolutely appreciate this place. With that said, a lot of posts I come across will indicate that someone used to drink a bottle of wine a week or even 2 a day or had a blackout on a Friday night binge etc. They are dealing with it in amazing ways and I think that's great and am certainly not minimizing their preemptive strikes and furthermore applaud them for having the sense to do so. I guess my question is, what if it's a lot more than that and for a lot longer? I don't read too many "back from the dead posts", and perhaps I need to go to meetings for those? I just haven't come across many posts that let's say hypothetically someone was drinking 24/7...every waking hour and with diminished sleep, accruing to about 20 hours a day. Was anyone ever like that and for how long? Thanks guys and as usual I congratulate you all on your continued sobriety and/or attempts
Old 05-30-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You mean really hardcore stories of destruction from alcoholism? Read some of the stories in our Stories of recovery forum.

Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 05-30-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are hard core stories here too.

Both Laurie6781 and I have literally back from the dead stories if thats what you're looking for.

The thing is tho...we're all addicts, we're all alcoholics...the same basic detail is always the same - we were destroying ourselves whether quickly or not...we all wanted to stop, but couldn't.

No matter what your story is, you'll fit in here - trust me

read this forum:
Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 05-30-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

I think just by the nature of us being able to post here we haven't gotten to the "Skid Row" stage, but it does happen to people. Everyone's experience and progression with this stuff differs I think. Are you looking for some kind of inspiring story about someone coming back from a very hard bottom?

EDIT: Just notices Dee's post, there are a lot of people here that have been there, but are not currently. Thanks Dee.

Last edited by ElegantlyWasted; 05-30-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Added stuff
Old 05-30-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Are you looking for some kind of inspiring story about someone coming back from a very hard bottom?"

No I'm not really looking for horror stories I guess just more along the lines of physical and mental health but I suppose I already know the answer to that. Thank you guys.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful

Yep everyone has a different bottom. I've had 3 personally and each one got significantly deeper. I might have been in your "preemptive strike" category the first time if you count wrapping your car around a telephone pole, staying up for 3 straight days snorting coke with complete strangers because you met one of them at a party and he was holding, or losing your job for missing too many days from hangovers or parties that went into the next day. I got sober for 7 years and went back out. Then it started getting kind of bad. I got sober again for several years and then went back out. Then it started getting really bad. I'm guessing my story is mild to moderate compared to others.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
I think just by the nature of us being able to post here we haven't gotten to the "Skid Row" stage, but it does happen to people. Everyone's experience and progression with this stuff differs I think. Are you looking for some kind of inspiring story about someone coming back from a very hard bottom?

EDIT: Just notices Dee's post, there are a lot of people here that have been there, but are not currently. Thanks Dee.
Edit: Sorry I read your post wrong. Disregard

OK I need to step away from the computer lol.

But what I did say is true, lot's of people didn't make it out in time to share their stories.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Least and Dee thank you for those links. I had no idea that section was here on this site.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

At my worst, I guzzled vodka every moment I was awake, 7 days a week. I am sober now, so it can be done if you want it!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

homelessness, lost everything....and more....almost lost me... yeah. 2+ years clean and sober now!

It can be done!!

XA-Speakers - The lights are on! has some stories in it... not sure who did what, but it's there (AA style)
Old 05-30-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think many of us truly can't remember exactly how much we drank because our memory is so impaired. I am a small person, and was walking and functioning with a blood alcohol level of .26. I drank vodka in my coffee in the morning, made it through a teaching work day, went home, chugged 1/2 bottle of wine, went back to work, ( livea mile from work) came home, drank more wine, went to bed usually with a vodka laced something or other under my bed, then got up and started all over again. Weekends was non-stop, drinking just to keep away the jitters and not quite enough to get sick or pass out. Never have written this much about it. Thanks for jolting my thoughts. I think SR is the right place for us.

Last edited by pianowoman; 05-30-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-30-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My husband died 17 yrs. ago, due to being beaten in jail by deputies while he was going through withdrawals and DT's from alcohol. Before he was sentenced to 10 days in jail (for not keeping up with his diversion program) he was drinking beer all the time. It was a steady stream, not a binge or just after dinner stuff. He lost his job, his health, and his life (at 33yrs. old). We, his wife and two sons, lost him. He cannot come on this forum to tell you his story, but I think that's the story we're all trying to prevent.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If I had been jailed, institutionalized, lost everything, seriously injured in my teens or forty or so decades later maybe I would have got help much earlier.
As it was I mixed with and lived as a booze generated low life, suffering but too afflicted to come to grips with my dilemma.

After rehabilitation at round 50 I pursued so called 'social drinking' for twenty years only to crash in January of this year with the usual ramifications.
The extreme drunkard still exists, but much lesser miseries in the long term, by virtue of not hitting rock bottom along with a really silly ego can be insidious to say the least.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm not quite there yet, but every now and then. Most recently it was a fifth a day, maybe every two days. The cycle eventually turns into waking up at 2-3pm, drunk, then making it to about 5-6pm and starting again. Because starting that early causes me to pass out early, I wake up at 2am-3am and give it one more round to go back to sleep. Repeat. Not always like this, otherwise like 10-12 drinks at night pass out and have a relatively normal day

Signs of liver dysfunction. No appetite. Dry heaving, sometimes coming up with god knows what. Zombie state constantly. Some weird brown stuff coming out of the corners of my lips, apparently a nutrient deficiency.

So I'm back on the wagon now. Have a lot of traveling ahead in the next few days but hope to make it back home and see a doctor for some pro help that I haven't got before.

I appreciate the post. As much as I sympathize with those who drink less than me and have a problem, and don't want to diminish their problem.. I can't relate if it isn't completely screwing up your life and health 24/7 and basically gets to the point where you are consciously killing yourself in very obvious ways
Old 05-31-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

As Dee said, I am one of those that took it TO THE MAX. Yes, I drank 24/7 for years, and the last 1 1/2 years on the streets of Hollyweird. When I still had a place to call 'home, there was always a bottle of Jack Daneils, Black label, ie "Black Jack" with a straw in it next to my bed. And when I finally had that 'ah ha' moment I literally died during detox. I won't repeat it here, my story is posted in the recovery stories.

(((((Scott6433))))) Here at SR you will find many many stories, and many many folks in different stages of recovery from the Hell we lived in. They are all folks that by what they post, ie the current struggle, their current problem, are showing SOLUTIONS to their problems, and offering HOPE that you too and others can find recovery and end up somewhere down the road living a really 'pretty fantastic' life SOBER.

Also, the folks here are from many walks of life, many colors and flavors, using various means to recover, be it SMART, AA, AVRT, Life Ring, etc

But we are all in the same boat, WANTING TO STAY SOBER now that we have found recovery.

So ................................ join us. Post your own ES&H, post your questions, etc we are here for you, just as you will be here for us!

Love and hugs,