Notices

Over It

Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Niz

Over It

Hey all, I have been lurking on this page since the beginning of this year. It has helped me quit drinking twice since then, though both times I fooled myself into believing that after a period of sobriety, I could ease back in. I was wrong. The past two attempts at reentry were disasters. I stopped for a little over a month the first time, from Christmas into February. I told myself I wouldn't drink during the week when I started back up and that lasted for a while, but on weekends I took full advantage of my drinking allowance. My problem is not so much that I am driven to start, but once I do, I do it to excess. I guess I should mention that I am 30 been drinking since about 14 and was for the most part a six pack per night minimum during the week and whatever I could get a hold of on the weekends drinker. I have had heavier and lighter periods at times but I would classify myself as a heavy drinker on average since I was in college. So anyway, this last sobriety spell I didn't drink for two weeks, the first few days were rough but no where near as bad as when I quit back at Christmas. This past weekend I drank from Friday afternoon, heavily until Monday evening. I honestly couldn't even give a number to it....healthy right. Anyway, after a long talk with my wife, who was less than happy at my version of Memorial Day weekend, I am done. Alcohol has almost ended us in the past a couple times, but I guess I was just stubborn and didn't want to give up my life long friend. She is extremely supportive and is going to help me get though this, we have two kids and one on the way and both she and they deserve a much, much better version of me. So today is day 1. Tuesday and Wednesday I tapered my consumption down as I was getting anxiety and the shakes terribly. I am eating my first meal since Monday night right now, though I have been drinking plenty of fluids and taking all the suggested vitamins. Today is not as bad as the past two, foggy, headache, terrible sleep last night, sweating and tossing. I know it will get better, not waking up to a two or three day hangover from a weekend bender sounds like a nice prospect. Sorry for the novelesque introduction but I have not been able to tell anyone those truths for years until recently disclosing the truth about my drinking to my wife and it feels good to tell some others. Thanks to everyone that takes the time to read this I know there are some really great and helpful people here.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Niz, you can do i! I am back on day kne today
Old 05-30-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry, I pressed send too early! . My story's similar to yours - I'm 32 and me and my hubby only ever really argue about my drinking and I want to be a better version of me for him and our 2 kids. I had done 10 days until I had a bottle of wine last night - so here I am back on day 1

I wish you all the best
Old 05-30-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's such a relief to give up drinking and all the destruction that goes with it. I'm glad you finally joined the family!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Niz

Good luck to you as well! I know it is possible, just getting through the first few days is really tough, fortunately I have never gone into major withdraw though I tapered each time to ease out of my habits. Keep with it and we will live a better sober life for us and out families!
Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on opening up. This forum is great for sharing how your feeling and admitting some home truths.
I also found Addictive Voice helpful to research, and Jason Vales Kick the Drink book literally changed the way I think about drink forever.
I was similar to you, a binge drinker and regular drinker since my teens but took me years to finally say enough is enough.

Welcome! Enjoy!
Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Niz

D
Old 05-30-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Sounds like a good choice to me! Welcome.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Niz

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes. I am feeling a lot better this evening. I even took the family out to get pizza for dinner, great beer selection, I had water. Also pitched the half case of beer i had in the fridge hate to waste it but hate to continue abusing it even more.Hoping for a good night sleep and many more to come.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Keeping my head up!

Well done my brother! I too had my last blowout during the long weekend, still don't feel good but know it will come if I don't drink. I was sober from 2008-2011 and let me tell you how great it feels to unleash the dead weight we all drag around that wants to pull us into the abyss! So well done and let's all keep plugging away!