Notices

Codeine

Old 05-30-2013, 03:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codeine

Hi all,

I'm trying to stay away from codeine and on my second day with none I really want some. I'm in work and contemplating just going to the chemist to get some. I've tried so many times to stay away from it but I always fail. My headache is bad now and the craving and I'm only on day 2! I didn't even take that many tabs, maybe 3 or 4 a day!! Any tips on how to stop myself buying some more in the chemist???
Old 05-30-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just know that it will get better really fast. I've done codeine withdrawals a few times and the headaches are not nice, you might also feel
Nauseous, irritable and get an upset stomach but it really does end very quickly.

Keep that in mind and also that if you keep taking them, your tolerance will grow and you will
Need to take more and the withdrawals will be worse.

Take care
Old 05-30-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

yeah i have been hooked on codeine numerous times..the restless legs and the savage depression and mood swings were really bad..youll get through it.

best wishes

v
Old 05-30-2013, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies. I feel like I just want to take a tab so badly but at the same time I don't. I feel 'safer' after taking them if that makes any sense!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You do not want to take a tab your addiction does always remember that. Just remember you are in charge don't let your addictions talk you into things you do not want to do
Old 05-30-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
You do not want to take a tab your addiction does always remember that. Just remember you are in charge don't let your addictions talk you into things you do not want to do
Thanks, that makes it easier that it's the addiction craving the codeine, not me. Hate the withdrawal headaches but as ye said they will pass.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Louise321 View Post
I'm trying to stay away from codeine and on my second day with none I really want some.
The contradiction of addiction. We want to stop, but we want our drug. When we are at the point of getting withdrawals, our body needs the drug, making the decision to use that much easier.

The cycle ends when we don't give in. Simple, but not easy. What makes it easier is finding support. SR is a great tool, as you are finding out. So is face-to-face support. If you can find a substance abuse program in your area it could prove invaluable.

Stay strong. Don't give in. Find help.