Notices

addicted to FB...deleting

Old 05-29-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

addicted to FB...deleting

I have been on FB for years now. I have realized that I am addicted to it, and it needs to go.I am on everyday. When I was drinking I would sometimes post 6 times a day!
Facebook was my drinking companion. I have gotten into fights with family and friends on FB, embarrassed myself, and a lot of my FB friends just irritate me now. It was a great place to get invited to all the drinking parties...No thanks.
I guess I am ready to start a new life. A life that does not include isolation. If I want to see or talk to someone I will go see them or invite them over.
It is very strange that I want to do this, but also feel nervous about it.

Has anyone felt the need to delete FB after you became sober?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I actually deactivated my FB account about 2 years ago before I even got sober. In my opinion it is nothing more than a vanity contest and/or a colossal waste of time. I don't miss it one bit and would highly recommend it.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I deleted mine during my drinking days.

My solution was to delete each and every friend and THEN deactive the account.

That way, if you sign back in and it re-actives your account for you there is nobody to go back to.

Would be pretty embarrassing, at least for me, to re ask to be friends.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Come summertime I plan to quit this and another forum I'm part of. It's easy for me to get caught up in unnecessary stuff in theses places, and while I'm working my day job it's fine as I need to pass the time sometimes. During the summer however I don't work, and there are other, more productive things I aim to be doing. While these forums can often be a positive thing, I sometimes find them to be the opposite. For me.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
In my opinion it is nothing more than a vanity contest and/or a colossal waste of time.
Agree. I just don't see the point about it, I don't need it.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I actually deactivated my FB account about 2 years ago before I even got sober. In my opinion it is nothing more than a vanity contest and/or a colossal waste of time. I don't miss it one bit and would highly recommend it.
Bingo!

I also made an ass out of myself a number of times.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am going to delete the whole account. By doing that it will be gone forever. Unless I want to start over woth a brand new account. Deactivating it, you can always go back to the same account. My husband is downloading all my pics. I'm looking forward to the feeling of freedom.
Some may say, "Just don't post or go on it." Well, my mind gets addicted to everything I guess. Lol Cause if FB is there, I will go on it.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

FB does stress me out. But being so far away from family it's like a lifeline. I deactivated it this weekend but found other apps I used wouldn't work unless I was connected to fb. So bloody stupid!!! I've had to hide some friends from my news feed and vice versa. I don't go on it at weekends and use PMs to contact people now. At least this way I can control it without getting pissed off. So far so good.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've never had Facebook
Old 05-29-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Yeh I feel the same way, just pics of people posing and pretending how perfect there life is. Too much talk of getting drunk and pics of it. Just. Complete waste of time!! The world was a better place when a friend was someone you actually talked to in person.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been thinking about deleting my FB account as well. Since I become sober, I've cut back on posting on there by about 90%. I agree about the vanity and posing, ....it's just weird.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I like Face Book. I belong to some specialized groups that provide a good exchange of ideas.

I use good judgement on what I post. I've heard it's much less popular than it used to be, especially with young people.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I like Facebook, it's a tool for me. But I thought about this post today, off and on. Then, early this evening, a good friend of mine who is probably my hardest core drinking buddy, who lives in a different time zone, posted some... effusive stuff on FB, tagging me. We had been talking on the phone before that and I was pretty sure she was drinking but couldn't be positive. Her FB post assured me that she was.

I was just glad... that it wasn't me drunk FB'ing. It wasn't out of line or anything, but not reflective of the space I'm in, sober. I thought about this post and kind of chuckled to myself.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

FB is a mixed bag for me. On one hand- all my family, including my 101 year old grandmother, use it and being so far away from them, it helps. On the other hand, I work in a professional field and knowing that anyone can find a way to access it no matter how secure I make it makes me legitimately paranoid. Several years ago when I was drinking, I'd put all sorts of things on it that I thought were HILARIOUS at the time, only to be mortified in the morning and quickly delete. I had ensure I was nowhere near a computer when drunk. And then I'd have people tag me completely sh*t-faced drunk at parties and freak out that my employer might see them. So now I am extraordinarily careful at what I post, remove tags...but if not for needing every way possible to connect with my family, I'd delete.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi I'm MLC and I am a FB addict. Through and through.

I have gotten myself in trouble a couple of times posting pics of me wasted (I thought I looked fine at the time!). But I have no inclination to give it up just yet.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by Black Bird View Post
I am going to delete the whole account. By doing that it will be gone forever. Unless I want to start over woth a brand new account. Deactivating it, you can always go back to the same account. My husband is downloading all my pics. I'm looking forward to the feeling of freedom.
Some may say, "Just don't post or go on it." Well, my mind gets addicted to everything I guess. Lol Cause if FB is there, I will go on it.
This is what I have done...I should just delete it. I get e-mails saying I have like 12 people that want to be friends, messages waiting, etc. and I probably haven't checked it in 6 months or more.