Notices

Guilt & remorse for my past drunken actions!

Old 05-29-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Guilt & remorse for my past drunken actions!

So I finally quit the drink accepted surrender and am working the steps of aa and do the suggestions laid out to me! I can truly say I feel I have a great chance of staying sober this time and enjoying my life.

But I have done some bad things whilst drinking hurt people and put myself in danger and I feel as tho now iam sober my past will catch up with me and destroy me just the same as if I was still drinking, like some sort of karma assassination. I pry to god and want to be given a second chance and I do have one but I feel I don't deserve one!! Any suggestions??

Thanks
Old 05-29-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Work through the steps with your sponsor, the steps will take care of all of that!
Old 05-29-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Also, that one day at a time business, works for more than not drinking. Someone in a meeting said, keep your head where your feet are at. Don't fret about your past, you can't change it, don't stress about your future, it hasn't happened yet.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2013, 03:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All we have is Now. as for the remorse just as mentioned above the steps will take care of that. when you do your inventory, people you have harmed and become willing to make amends, the past will not be such a huge burden anymore as long as we stay sober.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

I have been through the steps and am in the process of making my amends, but something's I cant make amends for because I have done them too myself!! I suppose I have to learn to live with myself and forgive myself!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everyone has regrets, whether or not they are an alcoholic or not. What you are feeling is normal as your body is becoming alive again and feeling emotions.

Do as others have stated above and eventually with sobriety and determination, your new life will speak volumes to your family and friends. They will see the real you - the good you and not the ugly alcoholic.

Keep doing the positive steps!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it."

The story of your experiences will become a valuable tool in your 12th Step work. You will be able to help a newcomer to not feel like he's the only one in the world who has ever done things like that. It's one of the most powerful parts of the program....stick around for it!!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference".
Old 05-29-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
I have been through the steps and am in the process of making my amends, but something's I cant make amends for because I have done them too myself!!
What has your sponsor said about this?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

In the 12 step programs we commit to living life on life's terms. We make amends where we can. Sometimes we can't fix things or return them to their original condition. Sometimes we will have to "pay" for something we did financially or otherwise.

The principles help us address what comes up in our lives. NO matter what it is. No matter if it is the result of our own doing or something that arises from sources beyond our control. So, it'll be ok. Just do the next right thing.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
"serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference".
I am not an AA member but the serenity prayer makes a lot of sense, even if you aren't one to pray. And it doesn't take much wisdom to realize that you cannot undo what you have done in the past. So you might as well also worry about which direction the earth rotates around it's axis as there is absolutely nothing you, or anyone else ( including your higher power ) can do to change it.

What you CAN change is how you move forward and what kind of person you are from this day on. Setting a good example for your family, friends, coworkers tells them a lot about who you are today. And FOLLOWING THROUGH with your promises - both to yourself, and to others, goes a long way.