Notices

hi

Old 05-28-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi

sober 3 months and struggling every day//looking for others stories as to how they made it
Old 05-28-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

keep your head up. when you get the cravings, take some deep breaths and calm down. then get busy doing something. the hardest time are idiol time, get your mind working on something other than thinking about drinking.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep going! Three months is amazing...are you in AA? Works for me in that all I need to focus on is not picking up TODAY. Are there people you can talk to in real life? Also I try to visualise what is likely to happen if I drink. I cannot drink in safety so it's likely I'll hurt myself, hurt other people and pass out who knows where. I just don't want that insanity anymore. It is so tough I know, but life is tough sometimes and I can decide whether or not to deal with it in a responsible way. Or I can say '**** it' and drink a bottle of wine...and then have to deal with problems anyway, only this time I have a hangover and feel awful. Keep going...it will be worth it. You are having a wobble which we all do...but it will pass. Promise xx
Old 05-29-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family! We have a forum here for stories of people who have been sober a year or more. Take a look.

Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 05-29-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. I am sorry to hear you are struggling but you have found a good place for support!

Keep hanging in there. One day at time.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 months. This is a great place for support.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IslaLuna View Post
Keep going! Three months is amazing...are you in AA? Works for me in that all I need to focus on is not picking up TODAY. Are there people you can talk to in real life? Also I try to visualise what is likely to happen if I drink. I cannot drink in safety so it's likely I'll hurt myself, hurt other people and pass out who knows where. I just don't want that insanity anymore. It is so tough I know, but life is tough sometimes and I can decide whether or not to deal with it in a responsible way. Or I can say '**** it' and drink a bottle of wine...and then have to deal with problems anyway, only this time I have a hangover and feel awful. Keep going...it will be worth it. You are having a wobble which we all do...but it will pass. Promise xx
no my family is driving me everywhere and i hate to ask them to take me..because i cannot do it by myself as i will buy alcohol..i was 2 years sober and broke it when my mom got cancer and died in 2 months. when a problem occurs i want instant relief with alcohol..i have bottomed out and still crave it//in jail over night, lost my job, etc..very embarrassing and i still want it..sad
Old 05-29-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey , there's others out there like me that think 3 months is a massive , amazing achievement. Wish I could be saying that today, so remember you're inspiring me if that helps x
Old 05-29-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks i need it cause alcohol obsesses my brain every day
Old 05-29-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks i need it as alcohol cravings are crippling in life sometimes
Old 05-29-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Besides the cravings for alcohol, how are you feeling physically? I am sure your body is feeling and looking better. I am also sure your liver and kidneys love the 3 months of sobriety. It's that evil voice in your brain that you have to deal with now.

In my case withdrawl is the hardest part because I can and will control that little voice who wants me to go back to the horrors of an alcoholic lifestyle. For me it was drinking alone to drown out sorry - but it only made me more depressed. Waking up with tremors and no energy to do normal things. Spending my last dime on a cheap bottle of wine. Nothing positive.

You can do this! Get support and stay on SR!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

since you seem to be open to AA meetings, I strongly suggests you ask someone to drive you there. You will be srprised how your family will be more than willing to eve wait for you to drive you back. I know that absession with alcohol all day long and how you feel as if you can't live with drinking and you can't live without either. I think meeting people who been there done that at face to face meetings will help, getting a sponsor and working the steps will give you a new outlook on alcohol and sobriety in general, you will get the tools to use for daily sobriety. this thing is tricky(cravings), they are in our head and mostly it is the way we still think of alcohol as a solution for our problem, when you have that obsession, it means yor brain is playing tricks on you and tells you that alcohol equals relief, fun, serenity...ect when it is, in our situation, withrawals, black outs, mess, depression, lies, resentments, remorse...ect. change they way feel about alcohol, and see it for what it really is or in our case what it turned out to be and will always remain hell on earth by our own making.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi. In the beginning of my sobriety it was strongly suggested for me to 1, Pray to a higher power, I'm not religious but I did, 2, instead of thinking about drinking, think about not drinking like going to a favorite vacation spot or being with a close friend or at an AA meeting etc, 3, remembering that it's the first drink that gets us drunk, 4, If in AA get phone #s and use them along with a sponsor. 6, KEEP COMING! BE WELL
Old 05-29-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Three months! Wow, that's great! I have roughly a month to go before I have that much time behind me. Sometimes I look into the future and I think how hard it's going to be to remain sober. Then I think how hard, not to mention disastrous the future will be if I'm not. I guess life is hard but we've got to keep moving.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

wow i never thought of that. you are awesome to tell me and hang tuff
Old 05-29-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

tired a lot..been on depression meds for 15 years..need a change because the addiction seems to be much stronger the past few months..hope you are well tonight
Old 05-29-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

wow you must be inside my head! you described everything to a tee..i have social anxiety and dont know if i could do meetings..i still cant get over what you wrote...wow
Old 05-29-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

speaking for myself, i had a serious eye opening experience. i was sitting at my desk when i thought i was having a heart attack and it scared me half to death. i knew right at that moment, it was the alcohol and drugs which made me feel that way. i never want to feel that way ever again. so i stopped drinking that day, i continued with my mental health therapy as well. then i signed up for outpatient alcohol counseling, these are things i needed to get myself better. right now i have 52 days clean, my longest stretch in 7 years. i have been exercising and changing my diet too. there are so many things you can experience that will help you on your journey. i hope you find them so you can live a more full and happy life.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think they have some meetings here in the chat room. Online support and meetings were instrumental in maintaining my sobriety early in my recovery when I suffered from depression which caused me to isolate. I am certain I would not have been able to do it on my own.
I continue to visit these sites to give others hope and encourage them to accept the support offered here and to let you know you are not alone.
I'm glad you found us...keep coming.
My name is Mary and I am an alcoholic.....sobriety date 8-21-07
Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great advice here.. Mine would be "do it for yourself". There are great chats and online meetings on Tues and Friday which are great help too.