Notices

Ready to quit drinking

Old 05-28-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready to quit drinking

I am ready to quit drinking. My drinking is damaging my life. Where do I start?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome you have already started congrats!!! Tell us more about you if you are comfirtable
Old 05-28-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, the first thing I did to stop drinking was to stop. I know that sounds smart a**, but it is truly the first step. If you are physically dependent on alcohol, you may want to check in with your doctor. Detoxing off of alcohol can be dangerous.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me

I have been drinking since I was 16. These past couple of years things have really gotten worse. My family doesn't like that I drink anymore and my fiancé has made it clear to me if this doesn't change then they are going to leave. It never was a concern before, she always forgave me but this last weekend it was made perfectly clear that if this doesn't change and if i dont be pro active at trying to stay sober, they are leaving.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. I would just suggest that you keep reading and posting here. There are lots of programs and approaches that have successful. ,lots of good people and experience here just waiting to be discovered.
Good luck.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by drr206 View Post
I have been drinking since I was 16. These past couple of years things have really gotten worse. My family doesn't like that I drink anymore and my fiancé has made it clear to me if this doesn't change then they are going to leave. It never was a concern before, she always forgave me but this last weekend it was made perfectly clear that if this doesn't change and if i dont be pro active at trying to stay sober, they are leaving.
Okay. You have many options if you choose to take them. AA, SMART, Life ring, Sober Recovery, therapy.... I may have forgotten others. If you do not want to lose your family it may be good to actively involve yourself in some sort of a method. Sobriety has to be an individual decision, and a person has to want to get sober.
I post on here, and give support to others. This forum has been working for me thus far.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR drr. I think you'll feel better being able to talk about it. Most of our families/friends don't get what we go through.

My drinking got progressively worse, too. I didn't do anything to stop it from happening (like you are). I let my life turn into a nightmare, always trying to control how much I drank so I wouldn't have to give it up. It was destroying me, but I clung to it. The only answer for us is to stop all together. It's the only way to be sure we won't lose control ever again. You can do it, drr. You don't need that in your life. I hope you'll keep posting.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I see right here as a very good place to start and have a look around.

An old A.A saying but a goodie " take one day at a time" oh, and another "don't pick up that first glass"

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for the post Hevyn. I feel better knowing I am not the only one.

I asked my fiancé to go to an AA meeting with me. Is that a good idea?
Old 05-29-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Another thing I want to ask about. My mother and various family members from her side of the family are bi-polar and they are all alcoholics. I don't know much about what bi-polar is but I assume it affects their drinking habits. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 05-29-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

drr206 congratulations on your decision to quit. I'm not sure how familiar you are with AA but if your fiancé wants to go with you, an open meeting would be a good start. The closed meetings are for alcoholics. If your fiancé wants to learn more about alcoholism Alanon would be a great support group for her.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello!
I found SR a wonderful place to start. Unfortunately- no access to help outside the internet where I am. I probably should have only quit with a doctor's help...I'm still having withdrawal symptoms today. I would talk to a doctor about quitting. But realizing you need to stop is an excellent start!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i don't know what type of recovery path you want to go...I have had success in AA. Give your local AA hotline a call...if you need medical help call your DR or GNP....just posting here has answered your first question....