Notices

Sleep

Old 05-28-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep

Hoping for input about sleep patterns from people who have been sober for at least a couple months.....

I'm a little more than a month sober (with a regular binge, rather than daily, drinking history, for whatever physiological difference that makes with regard to physical recovery), and I've noticed just in the last week or so that I seem to need a lot more sleep. I've always needed at least 7 hours, sometimes 8, per night (and had trouble falling asleep, but not staying asleep), but now, when given the opportunity (as, for example, over the long weekend), I'll sleep through alarms and for 10-12 hours a night. When I can't get more than my usual 7, I'm a hazy zombie all day long.

I'm wondering whether (a) I can assume this is physical recovery, even though it didn't start until I'd been sober for about 3 weeks, and (b) if it is recovery-related, how long this phase usually lasts.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! I'm prepared to just work with it for as long as my body needs the sleep, but I'd feel more comfortable knowing what to expect.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmmm...I was the opposite. Daily drinker, but never got drunk (drank small amounts at various times of the day starting in the morning). I never had trouble falling asleep, but would wake up after 3-4 hours and not be able to go back to sleep (which would prompt the middle of the night drinking). Since I quit...I sleep like a baby all night:-) Good amount...about a solid 8 hours. Haven't noticed needing more than that.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dollyangel17 View Post
Hmmm...I was the opposite. Daily drinker, but never got drunk (drank small amounts at various times of the day starting in the morning). I never had trouble falling asleep, but would wake up after 3-4 hours and not be able to go back to sleep (which would prompt the middle of the night drinking). Since I quit...I sleep like a baby all night:-) Good amount...about a solid 8 hours. Haven't noticed needing more than that.
That sleeping pattern sounds healthy. Glad it worked that way for you!
Old 05-28-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It may be that your body is tired and needs to sleep. It doesnt have to be anything more than that. If it continues for an extended period of time, maybe ask your GP. There is nothing wrong with a healthy dose of sleep.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, two months sober, I thought I was feeling like I needed more sleep too but I have come to find that I am actually enjoying my sleep.

I used to want to wake up early, especially on the weekends so I could drink.

Now laying in bed a little longer and getting a couple more winks feels good.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Into sobriety a few months now and waking very early when I meditate quite some time.
Feling well during the day though till evening when I get a bit lethargic.

Beats the Hell out of deep sleep followed by a shocking hangover.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Murchovski View Post
Beats the Hell out of deep sleep followed by a shocking hangover.
I used to think I did not get hangovers until I woke up without them and I was like I feel pretty darn good and I wake up a LOT faster...lol

Seems like it used to take half the day to feel alive.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
It may be that your body is tired and needs to sleep. It doesnt have to be anything more than that. If it continues for an extended period of time, maybe ask your GP. There is nothing wrong with a healthy dose of sleep.
Thanks, Mizzuno. I'm not going to deny myself sleep, and I don't think there's anything unhealthy about sleeping, I just wondered if this was a common phase with a common end-point. Because I'm sleeping like the dead (I sleep through alarm clocks, people in the house, ringing doorbells, passing ambulances, etc) and sleeping 10-11 hours a night instead of 7-8 hours a night, I hope this is a temporary situation.

Thanks too, Gracie and Murchovski. Sounds like this isn't a common reaction, so I'll just have to wait and see what my body does. Glad everybody is having much better sleep cycles than before.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AllieB, I was also a binge drinker and I experienced the same thing. In fact, I still need to sleep a bit more. Just go with it. You are recuperating and eventually you will feel more energy. Sleep is good for you.