Notices

Fighting to stay sober

Old 05-28-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fighting to stay sober

I have been sober since may18 ,, I am going through every possible consequence that a drunk like me faces, divorce,foreclosure,jail, you name it. And all I can think of is drink the problems away. Please help
Old 05-28-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What are you doing for support Ryan? Do you have meeting or a counselor you can talk to? Consequences really don't mean anything unless you truly want to be sober. And as you well know, drinking will only make things worse -that's a guarantee.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I don't have much to offer, I've only got 6 days myself, but I do know for me that no matter how bad my problems are, they will still be there if I drink, and if I drink, I am definitely going to get more. It's like a "buy one get one free" deal on $hit you don't need.

Hang in there.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Ryan. I have the same sobriety date as you so I don't have a lot of experience to share. Just wanted to tell you to hang in there. Drinking won't solve any of the problems and the anxious feeling after drinking too much may make it seem even worse. I'm sure some of the more experienced posters will have better advice
Old 05-28-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ryanriley View Post
I have been sober since may18 ,, I am going through every possible consequence that a drunk like me faces, divorce,foreclosure,jail, you name it. And all I can think of is drink the problems away. Please help

seein ya say "please help" tells me ya know that a drink isnt gonna help. thats awesome!

what yer goin though is not new. there are many poeple that got to the point you are at and thats what helped them get sober.
my last drunk turned my fiance into my ex fiance. it hurt bad, but that is what made it get from my head to my heart that alcohol was the common denominator in all my problems in my life.
her tellin me,"get the f**k out" were the greatest words i ever heard(honestly she told me what i had done and said the night before while i was in another blackout before sayin that).
drinking the problems away never worked. it only made im worse. whe i got into recovery, i started facing my problems head on and goin through them. some of them problems took time to get through, but ive made it through every one and know that no matter what, theres a solution for every probelm i may face.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If drinking got you in this situation, the best thing to do, is to back away from the bottle, and start to work on your life. There is so much more that can be lost. What support methods have you incorporated into your sobriety? Are you attending AA? Is SR your only support? You may need face to face interaction. I am glad that you are reaching out for help. This is a step in the right direction.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're on a good streak. It would seem that you do have a lot on your plate at the moment. Just know that this will all get sorted out and if you keep on with your sobriety, the grip that alcohol has on you will be broken. I'd say that ~14 days sober was the magic point for me. Now I'm just an ex-alcoholic. Best wishes.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ryan - All of us have wreckage from the past. If drinking didn't lead to sickness, legal problems, lonliness and death, why else would we know we need to quit? So you are once again at a crossroads. Forget the past - what are you going to do TODAY to stay sober? Have you used the serenity prayer? "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change (your past and its wreckage), courage to change the things I can (whether you do something differently today) and the wisdom to know the difference." If you don't believe in God, it still couldn't hurt to say. I would encourage you to google 'AA meetings" or "AA where and when" for your area. Find a meeting and go there, if only for the encouragement of others, and the possibility that trying something new might help when you are really white-knuckling it.

The insanity of drinking is that we return to the very thing that is causing a lot of problems for us. You are thinking about drinking to deal with life because that's how we always dealt with life before we go sober. Let someone else lend you a hand, and know you are no worse than any of us. God bless.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I was still clawing with bloodied fingers for my bottom, it wasn't until I finally just surrendered to the fact that I was an alcoholic and alcohol was no longer my solution that I began to slowly rise. Real slow.

That doesn't mean that I wasn't curled into a fetal heap nearly smothered with all of the detritus my alcoholism had piled on top of me. I had a ton of debris to clear away before I could start climbing up, but at least I had stopped digging. I just surrendered. I wore the garbage piled on top of me like gleaming military medals, earned rewards for being a drunken trooper. I wasn't proud of those medals. I had killed a lot in me and in those I loved to earn them. I just decided I wasn't going to fight anymore and create more bodies and more medals.

But once I surrendered, just quit fighting, I could see the medals for what they were. My reality. And I knew that drinking more was just going to add on more crap to the tons of debris I had created.

Just give up, Ryan. Alcohol has beaten you. The only real scary thing about your situation is that you might not be done yet. You see, alcohol will keep at you until it finds the only bottom it totally understands, six feet under the ground.

So, yep, no job, multiple DUIs, relationships in tatters, and you're going to jail. Only one way to win this one. Quit digging. Give up.

And one thing about detritus: It rots, gets lighter -- sure it smells -- but soon you'll be able to brush it away like dried banana peels. It will be easier to climb up then..
Old 05-28-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by ryanriley View Post
The insanity of our disease is easy to see if you just look at your post. You have all of these problems because you drink and you want to drink the problems away, which will only cause more problems...rinse and repeat.

I'm sure there are a lot of people willing to help you, but it's been my experience that I've had to actively pursue getting help to get it. Alcohol has caused a lot of problems in my life but I can't remember it ever helping one. It made me forget them short-term but they were always waiting for me when I sobered up.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As has been said here, stop digging that hole. Drinking won't help and will make things worse, you know that.