Notices

Fell off again

Old 05-28-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fell off again

I had over 3 weeks sober up until about a week ago and I fell off and have been drinking daily for the past week. Im feeling really bad about it. I've never felt this guilty before, not sure how to deal with that. I just had to get this off my chest...
Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stop feeling bad and stop drinking everyday. Sounds harsh but there's no other way around it. Trust me, I'm in the same boat as you and sometimes you just have to get back on and keep trying.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
Im feeling really bad about it. I've never felt this guilty before, not sure how to deal with that.
It's the progression of alcoholism. That's why most of the screening tests for it have the question, Do you ever feel guilty about your drinking?

How to deal with it? Quit. The paradox about drinking over guilt about drinking is that it works...for a little while.

You were sober before. You can get sober again. Staying sober...that's where the effort into your recovery needs to go.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Mirage. I got 21 days in and then I relapsed. I was feeling horrible. But I jumped back on it and now I'm on day 8. I now know what triggered me to drink last time and next time alcohol won't win!!

Just shake it off, get up and try again
Old 05-28-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Mirage,

I had the same experience. I had three weeks, then slipped up a night 2 weeks ago. It took over a week for me to feel better and less embarrassed about my last relapse. I feel better today.

Hang in there. Do you have local support in either family members, friends or a group?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Me as well

Originally Posted by sassu78 View Post
Hi Mirage. I got 21 days in and then I relapsed. I was feeling horrible. But I jumped back on it and now I'm on day 8. I now know what triggered me to drink last time and next time alcohol won't win!!

Just shake it off, get up and try again
Went 11 days, got really depressed and tired, thought oh well I'll have a bottle of Champagne and then 4 days and 10 bottles total I got really sick, was bringing up blood, bad runs, liver quivering.... so I stopped again... 6 days ago... sick for 4 days..

today bored, tired, depressed

But I am back in the city where drinking is easy to avoid.. so my big test will be when I go back to the island next week..

Overall I am feeling that when I get past this depression I will be fine after 11 days.............. I am tired but have energy to burn.. is that strange or what

Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Getting it off your chest is a good start, and we're here for that. Quitting drinking is next...because then you won't have guilt, right? Many of us ( me included ) have done the rinse/repeat/relapse cycle over and over. Bottom line you have to make the decision to quit once and for all. Whatever that takes for you varies ( AA, detox, outpatient ) but you have to make a plan and stick to it. And of course stay here for support too - best of luck!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We make mistakes. They happen. Everyone makes them. A failure is only a failure if you put a full stop after it. The definition for falling down and picking yourself right back up again is called success
Old 05-28-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hamptons View Post

Overall I am feeling that when I get past this depression I will be fine after 11 days.............. I am tired but have energy to burn.. is that strange or what

You are right. You will get past the depression and guilt. It might take few weeks but it will get easier and better faster that you think...
And if you already stopped once, or 15 times like I have ;o) you know what to expect. Just take a control of you and give yourself the life that you know you deserve
Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sassu78 View Post
You are right. You will get past the depression and guilt. It might take few weeks but it will get easier and better faster that you think...
And if you already stopped once, or 15 times like I have ;o) you know what to expect. Just take a control of you and give yourself the life that you know you deserve
I have been giving up halfheartedly for 16 months... longest I got was 11 days.... but I wasn't serious until that 11 days... day 6 now

For years I would binge for a week, have no days off... then 16 months of drink for a week, have 3 days off, rinse repeat etc

I did this until recently when I got really SICK... really deathly sick... so day 6 now of forever
Old 05-28-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Mirage

If you stop drinking then very quickly the guilt will go away and you'll start to feel better about yourself. You will look at your sober time again, and start to feel good about it as the days and weeks go by.

Being sober makes you feel better about yourself

God bless +