Notices

Finally Admitting the Truth

Old 05-27-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally Admitting the Truth

I am an alcoholic.

In the past, I always covered up that fact by the rationale that I don't drink every day, and I have has periods in my life where I didn't drink much. But the reality is I have been a binge drinker for about twenty years now. And it's time for me to stop seeing drinking as "fun" and start seeing it for what it is: an addiction.

It's become much worse over the last two years too. I wrecked my car and have escaped terrible injury to myself by the grace of God more than once. Two weeks ago I had a black eye from when I passed out and whacked my head on my desk. None of this is okay.

Tomorrow I'm going to my first AA meeting. And while I don't know how the future will unfold, I do know that I need help, and I can't remain sober alone.

Thank you for reading, I'm glad I found this site!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us, too.

And, yeah, alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will continue to get worse unless you stop drinking. You will find lots of support here.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna. It's nice to know that I'm not weird or weak, I have a disease. And I'm glad as I'm reading a bunch today that I have been able to find that the way that I've been living isn't just me, and others are going through it too.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad to have found this place and people like you, Raven. It's nice to talk to people struggling with the same issues. Glad you're safe!
Old 05-28-2013, 03:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Helen. I read all these threads and it seems like I've been so bad for so long and how did I not recognize it before? I'm sad and angry and scared.

Day 2 today. In the past I would be drinking again tonight. I have two beers in the fridge I'm dumping out as soon as I get out of bed, haha! And I am blessed with a supportive husband.

I'm nervous about going to an AA meeting today. I live in a small community and quite possibly people will know me. I just tell myself I have nothing to be ashamed of. What I'm ashamed of is the years of acting like a drunk dope.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on making it to day 2!
I know what you mean- while I was forced to admit I was an alcoholic 3 years ago, I spent 3 years justifying my drinking ("hey! that article says alcohol can be healthy for you" -ignore part where it says 1 drink a day). This board has comforted me when trying to go back for another drink- although I do fear every day.
Good luck at AA. I wish I had that sort of strength- because I also live in a small community where EVERYONE knows me and I've been hiding behind closed doors so long that I'm too chicken to let anyone know (also- because the "anonymous" part is completely lost on people up here).
Old 05-28-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're right--you do NOT have to do this alone. You will find fellowship and help in the rooms of AA. Go & absorb the knowledge and find that others are going thru & or have gone thru what you are going thru now.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RavenRenewed View Post
I am an alcoholic.

In the past, I always covered up that fact by the rationale that I don't drink every day, and I have has periods in my life where I didn't drink much. But the reality is I have been a binge drinker for about twenty years now. And it's time for me to stop seeing drinking as "fun" and start seeing it for what it is: an addiction.

You sound just like me. 20 years of binge drinking...I always thought that I was just having fun like everybody else...Losing a job, relationships, waking up from jail didn't even stop me...
One morning after drinking 4 days 24/7 the hangover was so bad that I again missed work (got a new job after losing the one before) and I realized that if I keep doing this, I'll lose my new job as well. That's what finally woke me up...
I was given another chance with amazing company and I can't throw it away because of alcohol...
So here I am...

Welcome and lets kill this beast together!!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi sassu78! It does sound like we're similar. I never wound up in jail but that's just because I got lucky, really, it wasn't for lack of trying...

I went to my first AA meeting and everyone was awesome, welcoming and included me. I was really nervous but I'm going again. I got my first chip.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job Raven!!! You should be very proud of yourself!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Raven, I'm a binge drinker also. It was always just a question of whether the race to get drunk was a sprint (after-dinner) or a marathon (all day). And my blackouts have become worse and more frequent over the last few months. I had to stop.

There is good news though. You found SR!! Live it day by day.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds like it's time to quit. You'll save a lot of money.