Update...some positive...some unknown

Old 05-27-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update...some positive...some unknown

A family member went into the hospital 2 weeks ago with liver problems and pancreatitis. Been in for the pancreatitis several times in the past few years. He also has bad pain from neuropathy in his feet. He said his liver was failing and he was dying. It was a very painful few weeks watching him still drink ALOT of booze while not getting help. I almost had a breakdown.

Initially they said he really did it to his pancreas this time.....it's "burned out". Turns out it started showing signs of life several days ago and he's now eating without pain....great news! His liver, although it has some damage, isn't that bad (relatively)....great news!

But he says the pain in his feet from neuropathy is a "10". He's been getting pain killers while there, and says they don't even help much. And the whole time he's been there, "the Dr's don't know what they're doing, they're doing this and that wrong", etc. (that's everytime he's been in). I do think he's valid on SOME points.

Here's where I'm at......Now that he's close to being released, he says he's gonna get on a methadone program to deal with the pain in his feet ("cause the Dr's ain't doin **** for my pain!") If the dose gets too high, he's only replacing one buzz with another. I'm worried it will hinder the recovery mindset and make him that much more susceptible to another relapse. Although God really looked out for him on this run, I'm sure his body has no more room for errors with alcohol.

I think we should be up his *** (in a nice way) about getting psychological and addiction counseling. What's your input?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think he's going to do what he wants to do.

My second husband almost died of liver failure, docs were sure he would need a liver transplant--miraculously, just like your relative, he had EARLY cirrhosis and would be fine if he never drank again. He went right back to it a short time later and as far as I know is still drinking himself to death.

Very tough to watch, very sad.

Incidentally, exactly what kind of "recovery mindset" are you seeing? Because nothing you've mentioned indicates that he has one.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

@Lexie..........that's what I'm doubtful about....recovery mindset. Mostly when I talk to him about recovery, he retorts, "you're making me worse, not better. I already know this stuff. I have to get over the pain first, then the other stuff."

It's gonna be hard knowing if the foot pain is that bad, I don't want to doubt him but his track record has a pattern. He undoubtedly could have foot pain due to neuropathy, but who can tell how bad the pain really is? It's another layer to his complex situation. I know the "let them hit bottom" thing.....but he has many times and his health was really on the line this time. You'd think the pain, hating the monotonous environment, all the s***, would make one just flat out give.....I don't know what it will take.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It is great news that there is not as much damage to his pancreas and liver as originally thought! The human body does have a remarkable ability to heal once we stop abusing it!!

From what you have shared, it seems like he has an excuse in place (pain 'management') to not recover now. I hope very much that I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound as though he is ready. You can try to continue talking to him about it, but he hasn't been particularly receptive to anything you say. Are the doctors talking to him about recovery or simply pain management?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know they talked to him about recovery, not sure how much though. He says the Dr's hardly come around to talk with him, and it seems so, because I've left notes and messages to have them call me. Only talked briefly on the phone a week and a half ago, and was there a couple of times I was there when they talked with him briefly. I want to hear it from them what's going on. I want to know how bad the pain can really be. He did give permission for me to talk with them.

If his pain is as bad as he says, I can understand addressing that first and foremost. I just don't know how much is an excuse. So he'll be off alcohol (hopefully for good), but doped up. I don't know how much he'll get into the recovery process. And he may use the pain as an excuse to not go to councelling and other appointments. I don't know, I'm tired.