Notices

AA Anniversary

Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Anniversary

Hi, This is my first post. I'm hoping to get some ideas for my boyfriend's upcoming AA anniversary. He's asked me to speak at his celebration, and I want to make it special for him. I welcome any suggestions you can offer to help me make this meaningful for him. Thanks so much!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi March1984

I'm not in AA so I have no ideas, but I know others will

D
Old 05-27-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

That's a tough one. I haven't been in that position but I suppose, if you were speaking at my anniversary it might be nice to talk about how I have changed since beginning my AA journey. Perhaps I look happier, seem to enjoy life more, perhaps I bring a little tolerance and love to our relationship. Perhaps your life is better, you don't have sleepless nights wondering where I am. I am more reliable. Perhaps the future looks brighter as you realise he has only just begun his spiritual journey, perhaps there is hope for still better things.... Count the blessings.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

You might want to refocus a bit. Saying nice things about him might make him feel good at the event but you can say nice things to him anytime. You might do the most good by directing your comments to that new guy in the crowd with a week or a month without alcohol. Say something from your experience that will help that guy. I think that’s how to best honor your boyfriend and make what he has done most meaningful. I have a feeling he’ll agree.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Yes I agree with Awuh1. I was trying to get that sort of context - sharing hope for the newcomer- in my writing but Awuh1 put it better.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

go to the internet and type in sobriety gifts or recovery gifts. there's all sorts of cool stuff I wear a ring which is nothing more black onyx with a triangle in it
Old 05-28-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

whats the motive behind all the fuss?
why does HE want you to speak? sounds like an ego boost to me, like,"see,group, look what i did!! look how great i am."

what does his sponsor say about it.

staying sober another day is meaningful enough.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

just a loved one showing up on my anniversary was JOY enough for me.
seeing them sitting in the chairs and hearing what i hear 3 times a week brought happiness to me
Old 05-28-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your suggestions and help. Actually, we've only been together a few months, but have gotten very close because we do share a spiritual bond. I'm in awe of his 27 years of sobriety, and how committed and involved he is in maintaining that. I don't think it's an ego boost for him to have me speak. I think he knows I'm proud of him for constantly working on his disease so he can keep the life he's made for himself.

Mike, thank you for your input.
awuh1, thank you, too.
Both of you gave me great suggestions! Because he's travelled this road without me for many years, I don't have the experience of seeing him pre-sobriety. He's told me stories, but from what I've seen and heard I know it's almost impossible to truly know what his life was.
MIRecovery, thank you, too. Already ordered a special medallion for him engraved from me.

God bless you all!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

heres what i believe:
ive been sober 8 years now. i dont make a fuss over it because i dont want a fuss made over something i should have been don my entire life and anyone can stay sober 8 years.
8 days on the other hand is an eternity.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
heres what i believe:
ive been sober 8 years now. i dont make a fuss over it because i dont want a fuss made over something i should have been don my entire life and anyone can stay sober 8 years.
8 days on the other hand is an eternity.
Yeah, kind of like being applauded for running out of a burning building that I hepled set on fire. I may not have lit the match, but I brought plenty of flammables.