Notices

Anyone else struggling with today?

Old 05-27-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else struggling with today?

I woke up happy and relieved that I didn't drink yesterday, but as the afternoon approaches, all I can think is "man, wouldn't it be fun to spend the afternoon kicking back with some wine?" I mean after all, it seems like that's what everyone else is doing today- BBQing and drinking. Ugghh, I do not want to drink, nor do I want to spend the entire day fighting with myself. I have to work tomorrow. Spending the afternoon/evening drinking would not set me up for a good day tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just think how wonderful and productive tomorrow will be because you chose to not drink today! Besides...it is boring to do what everyone else does.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

I Am Happy You Decided To Not Drink. It Would Be So Easy To Cave , But Won't. I Spent All Of Last Night Here And Could Easily Spend Today , Its Uplifting . I Feel Good Here , Amongst Others , Like me. Good Day To you
Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, Soberclover! That's exactly what I need to hear, too. It's boring to do what everyone else does.

Samerras, people on this site have told me that not everyone drinks all the time. (holidays, weekends, weddings, etc) I'm kind of seeing that that is true. For instance, the other night I went to a bookstore at 10 PM on a Friday. It was PACKED! ?!?!?!?!? I never knew. I'm sure that holidays are similar. Enjoy your sober day off!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know that thought process so well with myself...problem for me is...I wouldn't just be kicking back having "some"....I'd be having A LOT. ..waking up tomorrow would be horrible, who knows what I would do or say after I got started drinking. ..but worst of all is that feeling that comes the next day, in the pit of my stomach. ..that Oh No, I did it again. ..it's just not worth it.

It is a holiday & yes, some people are probably drinking today...but a lot of people aren't. There is a world out there full of color, sunshine & happiness that is yours for the taking. When I don't drink, I'm not limited. I can go anywhere and do anything
Old 05-27-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hour by hour. Minute by minute. You can do it.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Iam not struggling today but I have had those thoughts over and over until I finally accepted I won't just have some I will have whatever I can put downy throat and god knows where I will end up or what I could or would have done. I think I just drink my Calomile tea and thank god iam not drinking!!!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jstar View Post
I know that thought process so well with myself...problem for me is...I wouldn't just be kicking back having "some"....I'd be having A LOT. ..waking up tomorrow would be horrible, who knows what I would do or say after I got started drinking. ..but worst of all is that feeling that comes the next day, in the pit of my stomach. ..that Oh No, I did it again. ..it's just not worth it.

It is a holiday & yes, some people are probably drinking today...but a lot of people aren't. There is a world out there full of color, sunshine & happiness that is yours for the taking. When I don't drink, I'm not limited. I can go anywhere and do anything
You're SO right! I would start with buying just one regular-sized bottle- telling myself I'm just gonna be drinking slow and keeping a slight buzz. But I guarantee within 2 hours TOPS, the bottle would be gone and I'd be walking back to the store, b/c it would be too early to sober up and I'd just get a headache. Therefore, I'd end up ridiculous by the end of the day and right about 2am tonight, the panic attack sets in and my whole day back to work tomorrow is ruined.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

There is a lot of bbqing and all that going on. I saw this on my FB and really liked it.. you can add "beer" into his list too..:

Old 05-27-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep
Old 05-27-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful

Holidays can be triggers because it seems most holidays are associated with alcohol. It's a time when the "normal drinker" might have a couple more drinks than usual with family and/or friends and then life returns to normal the next day. But for me every day was a "holiday". I used to call New Years Eve "amateur night". I was usually glad when holidays were over so I could drink like I wanted to without friends and family around.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

It's normal for holidays to be triggers for a lot of us. Most drinkers use any occasion as an excuse to drink, but holidays are easy because a lot of people are doing it so we're just part of the crowd. I try to remember and focus on the fact that I'm not like everyone in the crowd. I'm not able to have a couple of drinks and relax and have fun and stop. For me, the drinking would continue long after the fun stage, and I'd have to deal with unpleasant consequences for days afterwards between health,work,behavior,etc. Holidays now are a lot calmer, and if I go to any parties I keep my time there very short. Long enough to visit but not long enough to get myself in trouble.

Good for you for staying strong. You'll be able to start the week off right, and really won't miss anything.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I understand. I actually decided to stop drinking this week because I knew if I could get by a holiday weekend, I could get by a week. And if I could get by a week, then I could do another...and another. But the temptation is so strong! And yes, it has been a real eye-opener going outside (for once) and seeing people perfectly sober doing stuff! I used to be proud being seen sober at 9 pm (before I inevitably found a bottle later)...now I know people can actually go without alcohol.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Today was pretty tough for me too. My boyfriend and I went out to dinner for the first time since quitting and it was the first time since turning 21 that I did not get an alcoholic beverage. I got water instead. And it was really really tough. I fought with myself in my head. My boyfriend even asked "are you gonna get a beer?" And that to me was like permission. I thought "oh! It's OK if I get one!" But I had to put myself in check. And I'm so glad I did as I lay here sober. Knowing tomorrow I can go to the gym. Knowing I'm one of those people with self control. One of those people I was always so jealous of when I would be up at 2 am 10 beers and half the refrigerator in feeling like I had absolutely no control.