Alternatives to Face-to-Face Meetings

Old 05-27-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alternatives to Face-to-Face Meetings

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this thread. If I am, please delete and accept my apologies. With that said:

Another member here recently attended a telephone Alanon meeting and started a thread about it. I also saw a post in another area of the forum recently where someone was looking for info on using the chat room here. It seemed that there was some interest in alternatives and maybe not a lot of knowledge about/experience with those things. This gave me the idea to start a thread where we could maybe exchange some info/opinions about alternatives to the traditional face-to-face (f2f) meetings.

In my opinion, there is no substitute for a f2f meeting for a newbie like myself, but I can't go as often as I like. There are a fair number of face-to-face Alanon meetings in my area, but they tend to be either smack in the middle of the workday or later in the evening than I want to be awake (I'm a very early riser). I'm sure others have similar problems.

I recently joined 2 email groups, kind of a mixed bag so far, but I'll certainly give them some time before deciding and perhaps, if I decide these 2 are not active enough, I'll try some others. Here is the link Email Meetings -- Online Al-Anon Family Groups Email Meetings

This same site has links for online chat meetings and online "telephony" meetings; telephony apparently is the use of a microphone and headset for audio via your computer, in case you didn't know (I didn't!). I have tried neither yet. Maybe someone else can comment?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

bumping this up, hoping to get some input for those who are limited in which meetings they attend by schedule, distance, etc.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You know what would be great in this day and age of progressive technology? If Al Anon would form Skype groups for those who cannot get out or get to a meeting.

You would still get all the benefits of a meeting in the comfort of your own home and still get to interact like in a group setting
Old 05-28-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Summerpeach, is this similar to Skype or ?? I've heard the term but have never actually skyped...

Al-Anon Internet Telephony Meetings -- Online Al-Anon Family Groups Internet Telephony Meetings
Old 05-28-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Skype is like teleconferencing--you can do video, too. You connect via computer.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is what the link above says about this "telephony" thing, sounds like what you're describing:

Internet telephony meetings are conference call meetings that allow groups of people to talk together using headphones and microphones attached to their computers. There are many computer programs that allow you to make "telephone" calls from computer to computer and many of these can also be used to set up conference calls with groups of people able to take part in the same call. These programs can be used by members of Al-Anon Family Groups to gather together for mutual support.
To participate in these meetings, members will need a fast (broadband) internet connection, a microphone and speakers. A headset (earphones with an attached microphone) is recommended for ease of use.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, pretty much the same, though Skype allows for the video, too.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ohhhh very cool! I would try some of those!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SP, if you do, please post about it. I can't help but think that a lot of folks would benefit from this type of meeting but don't know it exists.

We are so lucky to have these options, aren't we? I mean, my sponsor made a point of spending time on the phone every week to tell me about where the open meetings were until I finally said "you know, I go to the Alanon local site and check that out myself weekly" and she seemed surprised that it could be found there. BUT--she is an older lady and has a different mindset, just as I have a different mindset at 52 than someone who is 22 and grew up w/the internet and Skype and so on....