Notices

Hi Everyone

Old 05-27-2013, 12:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

I started drinking about the age of 14. I can honestly say that internally at the age of 16 or 17, I actually considered myself an alcoholic and have just gotten worse since then. I can consume 1 liter of vodka in 2 to 3 days by myself. I used to black out and get beligeranlty and agrily drunk but now I can have a few drinks 40%vodka and 60%redbull and be perfectly fine. It takes me near 8 drinks which is nearly 1 full size 750ml bottle for me to black out now. I feel sick in my stomach almost evrey day to where I have to use the restroom immediately no matter where I am at. My close friends of about 4 know that I drink heavily and sometimes can be a self admitted alcoholic but then my room mate, he really knows how bad I am. also, my g/f and I are growing thrui some issues now but just started and is absolutely not related to my drinking and the reason I brought it up is because my g/f also knows how bad my habit is to the fullest degree. I love her and she loves me but my habits are so bad and almost habitual(time wise) such as I come home for lunch from work and get a cup of vodka. When I get home I usually have a cup and then after dinner I can drink 3 or 4 cups which we are talking half a bottle of vodka. I never was a "self admitted" alcoholic until about a year ago but none the less, I knew for over 5 years that I was an alcoholic. I was just never open about it as I am now but only to my close close friends. It is very embarressing and I work full time at a labor intensive job plus I normally go to college part time so it is very hard to maintain this lifestyle forever. I signed up for this site earlier and chatted with a bunch of cool people already which were awesome and helped greatly. The one thing which I realized though is that a lot of poeple on here are already sober which is so great, but I feel I may be talking to much in the chatts about my problems since I am still an addict and I would feel terrible to interefere with a recovering addicts process since I am still an addict. However, no one commented or even mentioned that I was still an addict and they all were not and in recovery, so I must say everyone was exceptionally accepting of me and my problems so I want to thank you all . I am a young 24 year old male. Very active at times, love the outdoors. I enjoy riding motocross, fishing, boating, and hanging out with friends. I just have had this problem forevere and need to acknowledge it now before its to late. Thank you.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

duffman250. You will find a lot of support and information here. We were all in the same place as you are at one point so we can relate.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Duffman
Some of us are sober but we all remember what it was like
there's lots of support and understanding here

I'm glad you found us

Do you have any kind of plan to stay sober?

D
Old 05-27-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well u know I do not like any single one of my demons but the absolute worst demon of mine is alcoholism. Every single time iv been in trouble or stuff has gone wrong is when I drink but I just can't seem to quit. I almost feel as if it completes me, me being tipsy/drunk so it is more than a struggle to even try and comprehend quiting even though I know it is the right thing.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Duffman

I didn't feel like I could participate here while I was still drinking either, but you can. There is no reason you can't update this thread with your progress. Personally I avoided the place because I wasn't actively doing anything to quit but it really helped knowing SR was there.

You'll learn a lot here about various ways to quit. I think the important thing is to get all the help you need. Don't sell yourself short or try to do it on your own when you don't have to. Glad you're here x
Old 05-27-2013, 02:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Duffman.

You are right - the earlier you acknowledge this problem, the better. You are so young and have the entire life before you. Addiction tends to progress with time, don't let it ruin your life.

When I decided to quit I was afraid of many things - including that I won't be able to have fun again, enjoy life, etc.

I can tell - it's all just BS. I am over 7 months sober now. I am having more fun than in my drinking days. I am still the same - my sense of humor and ability to enjoy life didn't go away along with addiction.

Sobriety can be challenging in a way, but so do all the rewarding and precious things in our life, I think.

Take care and keep posting)

Best luck to you.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to a very friendly and supportive place.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duffman250 View Post
Well u know I do not like any single one of my demons but the absolute worst demon of mine is alcoholism. Every single time iv been in trouble or stuff has gone wrong is when I drink but I just can't seem to quit. I almost feel as if it completes me, me being tipsy/drunk so it is more than a struggle to even try and comprehend quiting even though I know it is the right thing.
I understand. It has been a part of my life for so long that living without it did not seem possible.

It is possible. I am 63 days sober today. I still have a long way to go but I take it one day at a time.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome....I'm sure you'll find a lot of help and inspiration here.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi duff! Glad you joined us last night. Keep coming around and posting. There are lots of great people around here, lots of wisdom and lots of support.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome duffman

I wasn't sober when I first joined, but I knew I was headed there. I was scared to let go - but the people here gave me the strength and support I needed. The more I read here, the more I wanted to get free of it. You sound ready to do this - and we know you can. Some never see what alcohol is doing to their life - but at 24 you already see where it's headed. You'll never have to suffer the way many of us have. You can do this, duffman.