Notices

Putting theory into practice

Old 05-26-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Putting theory into practice

I am learning so much in sobriety. From all of you, my AA fellows, my wonderful sober community. Today, I saw my father and brother (both still active). I have carried resentments for years for both of them. I have been praying for a while to forgive them. I know they are sick, like me, like I was. In the throws of our addiction, we can be so self-centered.

I haven't seen them before getting sober- I live in another state and when I started my journey they both dropped out of my life. I think now they just wanted me to do well and not bring me down. My brother was obviously hungover and on some type of downer but my father was sober. And I cherished every moment today that I spent with them. If I wasn't in recovery I wouldn't be able to spend time with them without taking on their issues and somehow morphing them into my problem or my excuse to drink or be sad. I am filled with gratitude today for a program that teaches me how to live in peace and compassion. Thanks to all of you who have helped me learn how to handle life without alcohol. I am more excited then ever to see what else sobriety brings to me and my relationships with the people I love.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fantastic Quit!

D
Old 05-27-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad sobriety is bringing peace to your life.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is really wonderful. You took what could have been a very negative situation and saw only the positive side Good for you!