Notices

Kindling?

Old 05-25-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kindling?

Does anyone know anything about kindling? It is giving anxiety about stopping without tapering. I quit hard alcohol over a year ago, and I have had months being sober since, but this time the 3rd day seems to kill my attempts. How worried to I need to be about this. In ten years of drinking, I quit for 3 different 1 month periods, I've also quit before when I was drinking hard stuff 3 times, 2 years sober, 9 months sober, and 6 months sober. Now when I quit I shake and sweat and feel weak. How worried do I need to be that this is like my 6th time quitting?
Old 05-25-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got sober before Kindling became a 'thing', but it's true the more years I drank the worse my withdrawals got.

the safest way when quitting is always to see a dr, Mirel.

Your health's important - get some expert advice

D
Old 05-25-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Well, it's always best to talk to a doctor, of course.... Withdrawal is hard on the body and there's really no way to predict how bad it will be from withdrawal to withdrawal, even in the same person. It does tend to get worse, though - at least it did for me.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Welcome to SR!
Never heard of it b4 but based on what u've posted, u're going thru withdraws that depending on how long u drank that hard liqour for, will take to finally get out of system & u b calm. If u feel that u could be getting a possible seizure then by all means get med attn. but it seems that since u've been down this road b4 u should be able to tell quickly. My hope to you would b that u look back @ those mths or couple of yrs that u were sober & ask u'reself if u truly missed alc or preffered being sober? Aren't u tired of the misery & frustrations that alc lies to u that u will be happy & sociable only to be disappointed, depressed & lonely?
Give it up coz it sucks!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wikipedia has an article about Kindling (search Kindling (sedative-hypnotic withdrawal))

Since I'm a binge drinker, this sentence from the Wiki article scares me quite a bit: "Based on animal studies, regular binge drinking in the long-term is thought to be more likely to result in brain damage than chronic (daily) alcoholism". But it's just one more reason to stay sober.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Feenix...that just doubled my motivation
Old 05-25-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sassu78 View Post
Thanks Feenix...that just doubled my motivation
Yeah, right. All those days I spent nursing severe hangovers were not time well spent. I have no desire to waste any more time pickling my brain
Old 05-25-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How much are you drinking? In my experience, withdrawals do get worse over time, and things progress from uncomfortable to miserable to frightening. Definitely see a doctor if you're worried...it's best not to mess around with this or try to taper on your own.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Last week I had 6, then 4, then 3 then 2 days without. This week, I had 9, then 8, then 7 all beers 5.9% I would seek medical help, but as I have said in other posts, I am living in a place where women don't have this problem, and "deserve to die if they do." No one that I see here seems to be able to give me anything but a stern warning. My Plan now, is 5, 3, 3 again and then complete stopping. My partner is hiding what he has from me to keep the taper true to my hopes.