Notices

Hi fellow addicts

Old 05-24-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Hi fellow addicts

Greetings to all I am no longer a lurker. In July I will have one year "sober"
from opiates and alcohol. I am 54 and to me this is an accomplishment.
I used quotes because I still smoke weed. More than I'd like but to put it in the context of the way I have lived its a positive thing.
My goal is to eventually stop this as well. Does anyone have experience with this? I also have had a lot of back problems and surgerys . Any practical advice about responsible pain management would be appreciated.
Peace

Artful
Old 05-24-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Artful, July 1 year sober. You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. July 10th I'll be 3 years sober.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't have chronic pain but as a drunk I asked my sponsor if I could "get away" with a little weed in sobriety when I was starting out. He said..."uhhhh, no." Turns out I'd rather be high than live life on life's terms - imagine that! Yeah truth is you may need to see a doctor for pain, but if you are smoking for recreation then you're abstaining from ethyl alcohol but not living sober. One drug for another - still - willingness is all you need - if you want to kick the weed habit as well it's a a simple as finding a meeting and telling the good folks there you're a drunk and/or addict and need some help. Wish you the best and God bless...
Old 05-24-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Old 05-24-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Artful And well done on your achievement so far. It sounds like you have made some massive changes and are headed in the right direction. I have some back issues but they are manageable with massage and the occasional pain killer. I have a friend who suffers from chronic pain who uses a lot of alternative therapies (something called meta health comes up a lot). I don't know exactly but there are alternatives to traditional medication that may be worth investigating x
Old 05-24-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Artful

I tried self medicating for my chronic pain for a lot of years - seeing a good Pain Management Dr really helped me.

We worked out a programme that not only looked at meds, but lifestyle too, and exercise plans and physio...

I actually take fewer meds now than I ever have at any other time of my life and now, my pain rarely impedes on what I'm doing

glad to have you join us

D
Old 05-24-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
Artful, July 1 year sober. You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. July 10th I'll be 3 years sober.
Thank you so much
Old 05-24-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Climber122 View Post
I don't have chronic pain but as a drunk I asked my sponsor if I could "get away" with a little weed in sobriety when I was starting out. He said..."uhhhh, no." Turns out I'd rather be high than live life on life's terms - imagine that! Yeah truth is you may need to see a doctor for pain, but if you are smoking for recreation then you're abstaining from ethyl alcohol but not living sober. One drug for another - still - willingness is all you need - if you want to kick the weed habit as well it's a a simple as finding a meeting and telling the good folks there you're a drunk and/or addict and need some help. Wish you the best and God bless...
Yes I agree changing deck chairs on the titanic and all. Even though I don't choose to
work the steps I do have a local NA meeting that I have allways felt welcome at.
And yes it's been a while since I've gone.
Thank you Climber122
Old 05-24-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Artful

I tried self medicating for my chronic pain for a lot of years - seeing a good Pain Management Dr really helped me.

We worked out a programme that not only looked at meds, but lifestyle too, and exercise plans and physio...

I actually take fewer meds now than I ever have at any other time of my life and now, my pain rarely impedes on what I'm doing

glad to have you join us

D
Thank you Dee 74 I have an appt to discuss options for pain management.
For once in my life I'm not running immediately to opiates even though I have a "legit" complaint. And that motivates me cause I don't feel like a slave anymore.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you artful
hope the appt works out well

D