? about additives in coffee

Old 05-24-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

? about additives in coffee

After reading the vanilla extract thread and getting my education there...I'm in the kitchen this AM making my own coffee and out of the blue it came to me--what's the deal with adding things to coffee in the AM like frangelica(spelling incorrect probably)or other "it just makes it taste better"(liqueurs?) kind of bottles from the cabinet. Believe me, I laugh as I post this because I can remember being in a rush, pouring my own thermos full of just strong, black coffee the way I like it and heading to the door in a hurry while the ex was piling in tons of sugar then grabbing the bottle "for a better taste" in his cup while I was leaving. I remember thinking "why that stuff? why not some flavored creamer??" Lawdamercy...he didn't drink coffee much...but when he did I'm guessing this was just another buzz catcher, right?? It's ok to laugh--I have many times at my own self for not knowing--it just wasn't something I was ever around so...go on and tell me if I'm right or wrong on this one, too. Hey, maybe people will say it's nothing and that will be great, too! Just remember....it's an educational process...and I really must have been raised in a bubble after all :-) Ahhhhhh, kind of a semi-laugh going on starting this day for me on this end. Thank goodness for laughing!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I used to dump Scotch in my coffee--a LOT. The liqueurs he was pouring probably tasted a lot better, but either way, it's booze.

I loved booze in coffee--Irish coffee, Spanish coffee. Yum.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks lexi. have no idea what made that memory come up with me this AM but...it sure did...so, add something like that to the coffee, take off to work, smoke a little weed later in the AM...HOW does anything get accomplished at work? an honest question as i can't imagine because i'm not on the "feeling" end of it, i guess...and if anyone is wondering why i'm wondering--answer is because i am me and no better place to get my answers than here from people who know.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peacedove View Post
HOW does anything get accomplished at work?
Not being an addict myself - I can't imagine how anything gets accomplished at work...but I know that alcoholics need a certain amount of alcohol in their system to even feel functional; kind of a maintaining of the status quo at the cellular level.

My friend described it as needing to drink pretty much all day just to feel normal, She wasn't "drunk" in her mind, she was "normal".
Old 05-24-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's the American way. Add sugar to everything to make it better.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Booze isn't an additive lol.

It's called an after dinner coffee, note, after dinner.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katiekate View Post
Booze isn't an additive lol.
There are additives that contain alcohol, like those additives with fancy names they charge you extra to add to your coffee at Starbucks, for example.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not being an addict myself - I can't imagine how anything gets accomplished at work...but I know that alcoholics need a certain amount of alcohol in their system to even feel functional; kind of a maintaining of the status quo at the cellular level.
This was me for sure. I could not do much at work, and it was when work was threatened, I finally went to recovery.
I drank so much (to blackout) late in my career, at least the last two years, that when I arrived in the morning, I am sure I was at a .015, just to get thru the day.
I am sure I reeked of alcohol.

But now, I cannot even smell those dang liqueurs. they make me nauseous.

Beth

Off to check my pancreas, after 16 years, now it is acting up!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yeah...lol...poor word choice with additive but oh well. ahhhh, i'll never really understand because it isn't me but thanks for the info. i can't imagine being able to maintain long periods of employment or a long term business success with the rate of what i saw or the attitude but hey--i am sure it's done and done well by some. makes me feel nauseas thinking about it too much too! lol.