Notices

The Big Test - Friday Night!

Old 05-24-2013, 01:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Big Test - Friday Night!

I'm 6 days in and today is gonna be the tester. I usually, and always have, had a drink (putting it mildly) on a Friday and go out and do it rather than drink at home, so I will be getting phone calls etc. to go out. I usually start about 3pm and carry on until I collapse at some point. My body (or mind, I'm not really sure which at this point) is telling me it's nearly time. I've done well so far and don't wanna fall off now.

Apart from me not wanting to drink, I also have money issues at the moment. I'm not sure if I should use this as an excuse or just come straight out and tell them I'm quitting and I'm no longer gonna be spending my Friday nights insanely drunk.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A perfectly good reason for quitting drinking is your health. Anyone wants to know why you're not drinking - you're quitting for your health. Not to mention the amount of money spent while drinking.

To stay sober you have to make some big changes in your life. You can do this!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi James18,

I know the feeling. I am (was) a binge drinker and the threat comes on Friday nights, etc. The good thing is that you are aware of the situation. The choice to drink or not to drink is yours. Something tells me that you will choose not to drink.

Isn't it a great feeling when you wake early the next morning and feel so good that you didn't drink. The only choice you have then is to get up or sleep a little longer (because you want to and not because you are suffering a hangover bordering on death).

Enjoy the freedom.
Washi
Old 05-24-2013, 02:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Work out your plan for today. Get a film, snacks you like, (chocolate yeh) and gallons of fizzy drink or fruit juices. Go home lock the door turn your phone off!! Only talk to people on here !!! Well mabe not that bad ,but you know the first rule of not drinking club is....
Your pay off will be pride in not drinking and your first Sat morning without feeling crap.
Then you've got to get through to Monday so,the one week cheer in your head can be celebrated , oh then ten days etc etc ,. The joy will appear soon and you'll not only be financially far better of but you will start joining the rest of the world with plans and a future.
Good luck John.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I managed to not have a drink in the house this week with my girlfriend. That in some ways is harder because she doesn't drink as much as me and doesn't see the problem (I'm not quite as bad when I'm at home). I can rationalize not going out and drinking myself half to death, but refusing a "casual drink" in the house seems over the top to her, even though I'll probably do in a bottle of scotch. I have three options - go out and drink, stay in and drink, or don't drink at all. I'm going for the latter. I might treat her to a blu-ray or something to distract her lol
Old 05-24-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi James

I think you'll find it easier longer term to tell people that you're giving up drinking. I don't think there is any need to explain too much. I just say that I was drinking more than I wanted to so I decided to stop, and then I found I felt better so I've stayed stopped. That also opens up the possibility that someone else who feels they are drinking too much can talk about it if they want (I reckon for each of us that has stopped there are quite a few who would like to stop).
Old 05-24-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by James18 View Post
... so I will be getting phone calls etc. to go out.
A polite, yet firm "Thanks, but no thanks," is all you have to say. No excuses. Better yet, make sober plans for the night with your gf and then you can say, "Sorry, I have plans already."

You can do this. Have a sober Friday and a sober weekend.