Notices

Something Has Got to Give

Old 05-24-2013, 01:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something Has Got to Give

Hello, everybody,

I have been battling a drinking problem for a long time. Basically, I am a binge drinker. I don't think about booze for a few weeks then boom. I write myself off.

I read and try to educate myself, but it doesn't seem to be working. I am tired and confused. I am just thankful that I am still trying. At the moment I just do not want to read another 'How to stop drinking' book. As good as many of them are they don't seem to help me at the crucial time.

I did go to AA for a few meetings and was off drinking for about 2 and a half years (about 7 years ago). I think the fact that I was doing something about my drinking and had a form of responsibility/accountability helped me to stay dry. Those few meetings are also a great reminder of the seriousness of this affliction.

I would go to AA right now, but the meetings are impossible to get to for me (I live in Japan and there not a lot of meeting times available.)

I do feel Rational Recovery is interesting and helps to recognize the urges, but I feel I need someone to bounce things off as well.

So what to do?
My plan at the moment is to 1) Get active on this site, 2) Go and talk with someone that I respect and tell them of my situation and my desire to stop, and 3) Keep it simple (I am someone that is quite obsessive, and I think that's why I drink).

Also, my only circle of 'let your hair down and be crazy' friends are all drinkers. It does not matter if I do not see them as we only meet at bars anyway. So I will stop frequenting that bar every few weeks.

I have already read some amazing things on this site and any advice would be greatly welcome.

Stay well,
Washi
Old 05-24-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! You've come to a good place for support. You sound like you've got a good plan in place for staying sober. Now just stick to your plan. You can do this!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Least!

Thank you for the kind words and inspiration. It was funny when I was writing that because 'Keep it Simple' just came into my head and made so much sense. In my case I feel it may play a bigger part in quitting than I thought. I am learning something already
Old 05-24-2013, 03:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey Washi,

I met someone at a meeting in the UK who lived in Japan and he echoed what you were saying. There wasn't many meetings and the ones he did go to were in Japanese. Which were ok because he spoke it fluently but still made him feel a bit disconnected. If I were you, which I'm not but you know, given your circumstances. I would kinda use a mash-up of different methods that are instantly available to you. Being on this site is a good start, perhaps you can read AA literature online but also follow Rational Recovery. Whatever works for you.

Natom.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, Natom.

Yeah, that is basically what I am forced to do - mix and match. Also, looking at areas in my life that are not conducive to a sober life. Long work hours, high stress, limited downtime, etc.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Washi

if you're interested at all in AA have you seen this website?

AA Tokyo - Home

D
Old 05-24-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dee74 and 'Thank You'.

Yes, unfortunately the meetings are impossible to get to. That is where this site will be invalubale to me.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Washi,

I think you nailed it about AA - there is something about face to face honest dialog with another recovering alcoholic that makes it possible to quit and stay quit.

Have you tried contacting AA World Services to see if there is anyone you can talk to on the phone for guidance? For all you know there are non-japanese speaking people in your area in exactly the same boat. Also, there is the possibility of forming your own group - you are surely not the only person in your area needing fellowship.

Good luck!