OT: Looking forward to this!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: Looking forward to this!

I signed up to do this tonight and I'm really looking forward to it!

http://www.meetup.com/milwaukee-camp...5192&_af=event

Seems like my world has gotten so small, what with working from home and keeping odd hours, it's kind of a big deal for me to go out and do something like this. It's been raining all week and is windy and fairly cool today, so it may be a nice muddy hike in brisk conditions!

Moving ahead....
Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That looks wonderful!!!!

I hope you really enjoy it! I think the moon is just a day shy of being full so here's wishing you clear skies!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like fun - let us know how it goes!

Just curious, have you ever done anything else through meetup.com? Someone suggested it to me, but I've never joined anything like that before and I can be shy sometimes when meeting new people, so I was hesitant...just wondering if you had any feedback from prior experience?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EverHopeful721 View Post
Just curious, have you ever done anything else through meetup.com? Someone suggested it to me, but I've never joined anything like that before and I can be shy sometimes when meeting new people, so I was hesitant...just wondering if you had any feedback from prior experience?
I have in my area. We have a very active Meetup especially in the summer and revolving around all the usual Alaska activities.

It is always a little uncomfortable meeting new people, but so far, no one has been anything but gracious! I recommend trying a few different groups, as like Al-Anon, each one has its own unique flavor.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EverHopeful721 View Post
Sounds like fun - let us know how it goes!

The only thing I have done thru them so far was a fun run at a local running store. It was pleasant enough; there was a bit of the discomfort you feel any time you're "the new guy" in an established group, but that was all coming from ME, as everyone was very friendly and welcoming. The only reason I haven't gone back is that the schedule doesn't really work for me, unfortunately.

A kind of cool thing that happened w/this hiking trip occurred b/c I'm familiar w/the place where we are meeting and parking. Another new "meeter upper" who lives near me is new to this area and asked if they could carpool with me so as to not get lost, so we are riding over there together, and as you Alanon/AA types likely know, there is nothing like helping somebody else out to make you forget your own problems!

I see a number of meetups groups that look fun, so I'll let you know how this goes--maybe it'll be useful for both of us!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback, Tuffgirl and honeypig! I'm definitely keeping it in mind and have the page bookmarked on my laptop.

"I see a number of meetups groups that look fun, so I'll let you know how this goes--maybe it'll be useful for both of us!"

That sounds great, honeypig - thanks!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Have fun!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
That looks wonderful!!!!

I hope you really enjoy it! I think the moon is just a day shy of being full so here's wishing you clear skies!
Firesprite, you have some kind of supernatural powers--it has been cloudy and rainy all day but is clearing up fast now! The forecast calls for only 10% cloud cover at the start of the hike, totally clearing in the next hour or so.

However you made that happen for me, thanks! I appreciate it!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is SO wonderful!!!

Well, my reiki therapist has been telling me to embrace my empath side & stop fighting my natural talents. I had no idea it could work over such a long distance, lol!!

Have a great time!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Here's the update to this: The skies did indeed clear up entirely, and we had a lovely cool evening to hike. The scenery was beautiful--trees leafing out, ferns unfurling, skunk cabbage in the low-lying wet areas, trilliums blooming in profusion, an overlook onto a place where 2 small springs bubbled up and flowed away downhill. Our hike leader paused the group in several especially nice areas such as a hilltop w/big open views of the surrounding forest and the pale daytime moon rising. We could hear sandhill cranes calling and frogs singing as the light began to fade and the moon started to glow.

We ended the hike on a bridge over a small river/marsh area just as the sun went below the horizon, leaving a glow in the west, and wisps of mist were rising off the water. The calm water reflected the nearly full moon, and the water lily pads and cattails moved ever so slightly w/the slow current. Very beautiful, very peaceful.

I'm very glad I went, have signed up for 2 more of these. They have a lot of Saturday AM activities also, but my best recovery group is on Saturday AM, so that's out of the question for now, unfortunately.

I'd recommend looking into the Meetups groups for anybody looking to meet folks w/similar interests!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That sounds so lovely & peaceful, glad you had such a great experience!!