Notices

Sober long weekend check in starts NOW! May 23-26

Old 05-23-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thumbs up Sober long weekend check in starts NOW! May 23-26

If you are even a little bit like this alcoholic drug addict you would already be planning the long weekend. I was always planning the week before getting all my addictions and connections in a row.

This year I am planning big! Huge! Gigantic!

Here's what I have planned this year....

I changed my phone number So no dealers can contact me and I don't know their numbers or where they live. Did this a while ago and it has been heaven without the weight of someone calling to prompt me.

I used to never trust myself with money. So I have a savings account at a bank with no access except to go in. The branch is not close to the house. But I have been a good boy for so long now I have a bunch saved and it feels great to have a holiday that I can spend money on the BBQ and not BBQing my self.

Wile the drugs have ceased the drinking calls my name a lot. I don't listen but I always keep my plan in place. I always will.

I have a big list of things I want to do and plans made with non drinkers. Since the bar is only across the street and they are always asking where I have been I think a list of what I would rather do is needed.

Heading to the NY Botanical Gardens
Going to see Star Trek
Early morning breakfast at IHOP with a friend
Go to a meeting or two
Dinner out
BBQ with just a friend or two. No parties.

Please check in here a lot this long weekend. Yes it starts today. I love the weekend thread! It's a very hopeful place!

If you have any issues this weekend come here no matter what and get it off your chest so you can move on with things. Don't carry that around. Don't hide. That's been done to much already.

Ken
Old 05-23-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for starting this!!! This is a scary weekend for me! It's the kickoff at our beach house. Very nervous e but have done plans
Collect seashells sober with my daughters
Make picture frames with the shells
Take many sober family pics to out in my new frames
Mini golf
Long walks
Checking in here!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Weasey...i am off today, working tomorrow and in a bit of a slumpy funk myself...
You sound good....smart plans.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post!

Since I don't have any sober friends yet, I'm going to volunteer in our local animal shelter and hopefully make few :o)
I also got big pile of DVDs to watch once I get home.

Stay strong everybody!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Glad you all are here with me!

Fandy... I am feeling better today. Hopeful. Feels good. Just very calm and going to take in every moment. Staying sober has made my mind less scattered. I was always nervous of had butterflies about drinking. Not so much theses days but the craving come more in waves. That's why my plan has to always be ready. One minute nothing the next the Poseidon adventure!

Lol
Old 05-23-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have no idea what I'm doing for this weekend..

But I know what I'm NOT doing

I'm in for the sober long weekend!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Ken is THE BEST!

If the weather supports it I will be finishing (hopefully) my deck project and also convincing the brush and vines to keep their appointed limits on my wooded lot.

If it rains I will cut wood into pleasing shapes and fasten it to the doorframes and baseboards in the room I painted last weekend. Mrs Non has also requested a chair rail in that room, and I usually do whatever she says because she has something I want.

I may need more bacon.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No big bbq this weekend.
Just the hubby, the kids, and me. We will throw a few hamburgers on the grill. I am going to make some sun tea and lemonade.
I will be making my front yard look good with weeding and planting flowers.
Practice playing catch with my son. A bike ride with my daughter.
Coming here and a few meetings.
I'm looking forward to it.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am going to Wisconsin. Solon Springs and maybe Duluth Min. There is going to be alot of family and a lot of drinking. I will just have to occupy my time thing is where I live is like going to the woods for most of your guys...And the place I am going is even more secluded. Hopefully they give me a "work fun" project while I am on vacation mowing the lawn or doing some paving stones sounds fun. HAHAHA
Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well...inlaws coming in from Ireland tomorrow night, so expect to see me a lot on this board over the weekend, because if there was ever a group of people that make me want to climb into a bottle and do the backstroke...it's that pack of vipers:-)

Ah well...going to make the best of it, and do what I do best...cook up some fabulous meals and and be the hostess with the mostess:-)

I won't drink...ABSOLUTELY won't drink. If I did, I would feel bad enough, but if I let them cause me to stumble...that would be even worse!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm in for the long weekend. I figure I've made it through the Winter holidays as well as New Year's, so I have strong hope for Memorial Day Weekend. Going to a parade on Saturday as well as many Farmer's Markets as well as Art Market's abound this weekend as well. I've been so busy with work I haven't really planned for this weekend. I should think about it, however. I'm sure there will be a ton of drinking happening at events around me but that has never worked out well for me so I think I will pass on that.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Goin out to the farm this weekend, gonna be sober while I cut grass, and clean up the place. Everybody stay sober, rootin for ya.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

^^^^I'm doing exactly what DA is doing! Lol Except my fam is coming from D.C. I have several activities planned. So, hopefully we'll all stay busy and have fun.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Well, I live on a little island where the economy revolves around tourists. We hope this weekend will be the start of a great summer! I'll be helping out at my neighbor's shellfish farm selling crabs, clams and oysters alive alive ho!

(note to those from New England, shellfish season is year-round here unless the weather is really warm which might shut things down for a week or so...)

It's been a long time since I have had a sober summer, but I did do it several years ago. I had a full-time job, and I painted the house too. My addiction was different then--it seemed easier to not drink. I took not drinking in stride, just like a normal person. Then one day on vacation in the fall I decided I could drink like a normal person...

That's a great post to start off the thread--thanks, Weasel, and thanks to all the rest of you too!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Stand-by 24/7 for a week starting this morning .
No bank holiday for me . Hopefully it will be peaceful .

Bestwishes on this friday to y'all , M
Old 05-24-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Count me in - this will be the first sober one for a very long time - and I will succeed!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Dolly thank you for the description of your inlaws...i am borrowing the phrase "pack of vipers"
My old maine coon cat had a procedure at the vet yesterday...for a bladder infection..so i will be sure to spend most of the weekend close to home..
I am excited about this new honey 12 grain bread i am toasting...im sure it goes well with bacon!
Shrimp salad for lunch.i have to work part of today.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i was able to think of a few things to do this weekend, i can fix my bike so i can take those rides that i want. i know there is cleaning to be had due to my lack their of during my usage years. or maybe just take some time for me, i know that is something i have never done either. i dont need some big bbq party to feel good about myself. i just need me, and my sobriety.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have no plans. It is supposed to be cold this weekend so hopefully I can find the yarn I need so I can rent some moveis and OD on crochet all weekend.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm going to try not drinking this weekend, today would be my first day. Got up early today and went to the gym and now going to start painting the outside of the house. I'm hoping to keep my mind clear and my hands busy, hopefully that will get through the day. Enjoy your weekend all !