Notices

How long will I feel like crap?

Old 05-21-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long will I feel like crap?

So 6 weeks ago I decided to quit taking a Benzo every night for sleep. I had been on them pretty much every day for the last 10 years and taking a very strong dose. I also figured what the hell while I am taking my life back lets get rid of drinking too. Have been drinking heavily for 15 years and Im only 32. While I havent even thought about having a drink or taking a pill I do feel, well like ****, is the only way to describe it. I just feel like Im outside of my body watching myself. I dont get any sleep because of racing thoughts, I have chills and feel sweaty even though im not sweating. My neck and back feel tense and it feels like my neck muscles are constricting my throat giving me the feeling of a golfball in there. My vision feels hazy and I also feel very incoherent at times and have trouble getting my brain to communicate to my body. For example I know what Im wanting to say here but im having trouble typing it out if that makes any sense.

Is this normal for someone whos trying to quit two very harmful and addicting substances at once? I mean I know people have trouble just quitting one of those and quitting both at once is just brutal. Like I said I have no desire to go back to either but at the same time I feel so bad its next to impossible to function. How long does this horrible feeling usually last and is this normal?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

I had quit once before (just signed up and doing it again). Drink lots of water! It helped me. I think it helps flush and re-hydrate your entire body.

Worked for me.... until I started drinking again.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It can go on for awhile. Sounds just like I feel at the moment. I have just given up Benzos and alcohol and opiates. I did a rapid inpatient detox but the real symptoms have just kicked in the last week of so. 3 weeks since I started detox. I am mostly bedridden ugh. I miss those little pills but this is making me never want to touch them agajn.

Does a doctor know what you are doing? Might be worth seeing someone to make sure all is ok. Do you know about paws?

Hope things get better.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Completely get you on the brain thjng. I get so frustrated. I know the info is in there but I just can't access it. Grrr. People say it will get better and I have to believe it because this isn't right. Hang jn there.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is the second time I am going through benzo withdraw since my quack of a doctor put me on Klonopin after I just quit Xanax 4 years ago saying "Dont worry this one is fine" Who the hell legalized this stuff? I never even abused it. Just took it as directed.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know all to well how your feeling, I went through it several years ago and let me just say it was pure hell!! It is a dangerous drug to stop cold turkey! Just my opinion but if I were you I would see a Physician. Better safe than sorry. I wish you the best, those Benzo w/ds are horrific
Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yea cold turkey wasnt a good idea. When I had to hide my guns from myself I decided it would probably be a good idea to see my doctor. He had me on a tapered dose of valium for 10 days and I thought I was fine. I felt great for about 2 weeks but then all of the withdraw symptoms came back.

Also the funny thing is the one thing I started taking benzos for was anxiety that was causing very annoying heart palpitations to the point of me going to the hospital 2-3 times a year just to have them tell me Im fine. The only thing that isnt bothering me now are the heart palpitations. They have all but stopped which makes me wonder why I was even on them in the first place.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would suggest seeing a doctor if your withdrawal is that bad. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous and benzo withdrawal is a real pain in the butt. Get medical help getting thru the w/d.