Notices

21 year old alcoholic - no more!

Old 05-21-2013, 12:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation 21 year old alcoholic - no more!

Hi everyone,

Decided this morning that enough was enough. I am 21 years old (young, I know) but a full-blown alcoholic. I've known for a while, at the back of my mind, but this is the first time I am admitting to myself just how bad it is, and what the consequences will be should my self-destructive behavior continue.

Like many of you, alcohol has compromised everything which I hold dear to me. My relationships, my finances, family, responsibilities, health... the list goes on and on. Drugs also come into the picture, I am ashamed to admit.

I need your guys help, please. I don't want to be this person anymore.

Regards,

C
Old 05-21-2013, 01:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you for realizing at such a young age that you have a problem. I was like you at 21 too. I wish I had had the internet back then to research things and talk to others who wanted to quit. There is a lot of information out there now and great places like this.

Dont be like me and wait till you are almost 50 to quit. I have ruined my health, and many relationships because of my drinking.

Just quit, and find new, non drinking friends. Luckily you have lots of time and a long life ahead of you.

You are very smart for seeing the problem early and addressing it.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks DirtyRiverMan.
I do consider myself lucky indeed... I've tried to quit a few times before, but always on my own. I think sites like this, and support from others who know what it's like were the missing elements.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome youngster - that's a great decision to make at 21 - more power to ya

Do you have any ideas on what you'll do next?

D
Old 05-21-2013, 01:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome. I am also young and new to this, 24 years and woke up last monday with the same realization. I couldn't do it anymore, and after years of abuse and hitting the same desperation again and again, I decided to stop. I found this site two days later. I am eight days sober, don't feel great but compared to the first few days of being dry I feel amazing. Don't give up if you feel anxious, irritable, physical symptoms or cravings.. These are temporary and the alcohol detoxing from your body.

I hope you stick to this, I've had plenty of "drinker's remorse" hangover days that I thought the same thing, hundreds in fact, but the next day I had already forgot the misery and convictions I had the previous day and was already back out. Make it through that next day, get ahold of support groups and take it one day at a time. I'm only 8 days and my energy is already coming back, motivation and I wake up ready to face the day. It's not easy but it's not that hard either.. The benefits of being sober far outweigh the benefits of drinking, and your friends and family will respect you more for it.

Good luck, PM me if you want and keep updating on how you're doing
Old 05-21-2013, 02:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome youngster - that's a great decision to make at 21 - more power to ya

Do you have any ideas on what you'll do next?

D
I just had a long conversation with a dear friend (and ex-lover) of mine about the whole thing. She was one of the people my alcoholism and drug use affected most - always the ones we care most about, right? - but she's like my guardian angel. She suggests I get an involved hobby: So what I'm going to do is take up motorcycle riding again and start working towards one of my life goals: competing in the Dakar Rally
Old 05-21-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know that realizing the problem is a big step, and probably the most important. Congratulations! My brother was also 21 when he finally admitted he is an alcoholic. Sadly some people had gotten the idea that you cant be a young alcoholic, which is a lie. Don't let them hide your problem from yourself.

Best of luck to you
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I got sober at 17 many moons ago. Best thing I ever did.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome youngster

I'm young too, 23

Same story, mostly a drinker but dabbled in drugs too. I'm new here as well so I even relate in that sense.

Being young we face unique challenges in staying sober, it's damn near expected of us to be using drugs and booze!

Feel free to pm me if you ever need to talk or need someone to relate to.

Stay strong
Old 05-21-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good choice - really hope you can make it a life change! I am not quite as young as you but 28, still in my twenties. Totally agree with Woozy above - it's hard to not drink if you want to be social - it is sooo acceptable and expected by others. I think we just have to keep reminding ourselves that it is our personal choice not to drink anymore and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Good luck
Old 05-21-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Marcher

Youngster, you came to a great place, full of caring, supportive and understanding people like you! Applause for stopping the insanity now!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellyrally View Post
Good choice - really hope you can make it a life change! I am not quite as young as you but 28, still in my twenties. Totally agree with Woozy above - it's hard to not drink if you want to be social - it is sooo acceptable and expected by others. I think we just have to keep reminding ourselves that it is our personal choice not to drink anymore and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Good luck
Thanks for adding, friend

I know what you mean when you say drinking is super acceptable (even encouraged) in most young people's eyes, but one thing we ought to keep in mind during social scenarios is that - while drinking is an easily manageable social element for them - we as alcoholics are different. For us, a completely different set of rules apply and a completely different set of consequences.

I haven't been out yet, but I would imagine that if someone was trying to peer pressure me into drinking and I told them, in no uncertain terms, that I am a recovering alcoholic - they would be likely to back off somewhat.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful you've made this decision, youngster. You won't have to go through the horrible times many of us have. I knew when I was 21 that I was out of control - but kept trying to manage it because I thought I'd be missing out. I now know that was ridiculous - what I missed out on was living life to the fullest. You can't have fun when you're foggy and numb. Glad to have you with us!