Notices

I guess it's time

Old 05-20-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I guess it's time

I've been a beer drinker since I was 21. I'm not drinking any more than I ever have, but I'm not drinking any less.

It's a pretty good bet, after 5:00 you'll find me with a six pack of something. It's just as I've gotten older, the hangovers have become a real bummer. I don't get headaches, but the day after anxiety is a bitch and I'm tired of it. I'm sure it's taken one hell of toll on my body. Plus waking up in the middle of the night after drinking sucks - it really screws up my sleep.

I love the days after I don't drink. My workouts are amazing.

I've never had a craving per se for alcohol, but if I want a beer I get one. I can stop after 1 or 2 or more. I'm not one of these drink it all guys. I don't drink until after 5:00. Nevertheless, I think I'm sick and tired of it. I resolved to go until my birthday, September, without a drink. I will reevaluate it then. I'm sure I have a problem...but I wouldn't trivialize the problems of alcoholics by calling mine alcoholism. But something ain't right...afterall, I'm not on an ice cream forum saying I'm commited to giving up ice cream until my bday.

The toughest part is gonna be not enjoying the great bitter taste of an IPA, watering my back yard with a nice two beer buzz and the trouble sleeping if I don't have 3 or 4 brews in me.

God willing I will figure this out.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Crossfit! Happy to have you with us.

I hope being here will help you find some answers. I'm glad you're taking a look at what alcohol is doing to your life. You're not comfortable with the way things are, so it's good to think about making a change. We're glad you joined.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh man, I can completely relate to what you're saying about how much drinking can interrupt workouts the next day. In the past, I could sort of shake it off. But as I've gotten older, it has become clear that if I am hungover I won't be able to work out - and that sucks.

And I guess that's sort of what a drinking problem is all about. Slowly, you start to lose things. Eventually drinking becomes your primary activity, above everything else.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So, last night I didn't drink. This was the first time in some time. There were no cravings (I don't think I ever have cravings). Now, nicotine...I have cravings. Just simply the thoughts I had as I stayed up until about 1:30 thinking:

- Am going to be able to go the rest of my life without a beer? I'll just look at it as a one day at a time deal.

- How am I going to explain this to my wife? She drinks, but in extreme moderation. I believe the only time I have seen her drunk was during the first year of our marriage over 12 years ago. She always tells me "you don't have a drinking problem." Don't get me wrong, she is a wonderful woman and I guess she can't see the fault in me.

- How am I going to tell my friends? We hunt...we fish...we drink ...we party (no drugs other than alcohol). Drinking beer is what we do when we do other things. Will the sobriety make me less fun to be around? Were they around me solely because we drink and that I was a fun drunk?

But then I would have these thoughts:

- man it will be nice to wake up without a hangover.

- you can't take the 4 AM anxiety caused by the alcohol anymore.

- you don't have to worry about your drinking problem becoming worse (even though, frankly it hasn't - I don't drink anymore frequently or intensely than I did 10 years ago).

- it's nice to have a clear head before noon.

- working out will be nice...and no more empty calories.

- I'll like my girls not associating Daddy with beer. We have friend who literal can down a thirty pack over the course of a few hours. His gut is the largest I've ever seen and has major health problems. I do not want to be that guy.

Can I do this without AA? I've been to two AA meetings. While I'm glad it works for some people, to me it was filled with insufferable bores. Everyone wanted to let everyone else know how long it had been since their last drink and how much they used to drink. I can't relate to them - I've never been arrested for drinking, I don't do drugs when I drink, I never beat my wife or kids, I show up for work, yaddayadda...
I've heard them read chapters from the BB, and I just can't relate to the stuff in the book; plus the book just gets on my nerves.

The AA people pretty much tell you theirs is the only way. I can't believe this. Were people not going sober before AA formed? My father was a problem drinker - he was a bad drunk (3 or 4 beers and he was off the handle and mean). He gave up drinking in his mid to late fifties by saying "a man can only drink so many beers in his life". I think misery loves company. Every person at AA seems to share the same aura...I can't put my finger on it. But, if it works for them, then more power to them.

I won't be drinking tonight.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Crossfit. I call that being of "two minds". There is "me" and then there is "the beast".

Have you looked into Rational Recovery/AVRT? You can google it to learn more. They also have a crash course which takes just a few minutes. It might help you to understand better.

There are many paths to recovery and understanding drinking and/or using. You may want to check out our secular section here to find out more about Rational Recovery/AVRT and other programs. There are also forums here specific to 12 step recovery such as AA. Of course posting here in New Comers is great too. You'll find a lot of information, as well as other peoples experiences and/or opinions.

Here is the link to our secular connections forum:
Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Best to you.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are doing something great! If your username is a reflection of who you are I'm sure you physical shape and endourance are important to you. I am a runner I use to run hungover and man it was hard. Wait until your head clears it can be quite euphoric.
Ps If you are a cross fitter man though workouts are brutal. I did a few and was properly school on my poor squatting form.....who knew?
Good luck keep posting
43 days here
Old 05-21-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ps I lived in boulder for a while and I too fell in live with the Indian Pale Ales
Old 05-21-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey crossfitdad realy relate to you I was a beer drinker and like youself it became every night and also on my day off drinking as soon as my wife left for work 7am sitting on a sunday afternoon till 1 oclock before drinking nobody has said I have a problem but something aint right.I am only 7 days sober but gota tell you I feel good only minor cravings..etc and this is where I usualy talk myself into two beers and within a day its 6 tall cans a night back on the merrygoround.I quit because Like yourself I know deep down there is a problem I am 59 now and the booze is not so easy to handle as it was at 20 the old system cant take it anymore and also I don't want my wee 9year old granddaughter accociating her grampa with beer.All the best here for support if you need; as I am getting support from this forum............................................. ..................................