Notices

Stressing...hypochondria

Old 05-20-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stressing...hypochondria

Not the best night....my hip/ side are bothering me. I likely pulled something with my walking up and down hills yesterday, but my nutty side starts imagining kidney problems etc. Of course I know what would make it feel better, but won't go there.

Also stressing that my in laws are coming on Friday for a visit for a week! They won't be sleeping here, but will be hanging out here every day/night, and there will be drinking. They don't care seem to care for me, so I sure as hell am not going to open up about my sobriety. I plan to tell them I am on weight watchers and not drinking, but there will be alcohol here...can't tell them I don't want it in the house or that would tip them off.

I know I won't drink because my husband will be here, but it will not be easy I'm sure.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Actually, I think you could tell them you don't want alcohol in the house. It's your house, your rules. We never have alcohol in our house.

It sounds like a stressful visit. I hope it goes well.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can get thru this visit sober. Focus on your sobriety and be as gracious as you can be with your in laws. You can do this.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think having alcohol in your spa e may be tough but I think you can totally do it. But if you don't think you could maybe talking to your husband since it is his family and he wants you to remain sober might help.

I wish I had a better answer for you
Old 05-20-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh... I feel you. I have family coming this weekend for a full week too! (only a week sober now!) I'm sure they will bring wine- to be polite. I plan on telling them I'm not drinking for "health reasons". I will not drink. I'm actually looking forward to spending time with them sober, and not hungover. I'm here for you that week if you need support! We're in the same boat afterall.

Did you take some ibuprofen for your pain? I hope you feel bettr. x
Old 05-20-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I could, but that would be like wearing a neon blinking AA sign. We have always had alcohol in the house when they come. I can't ask my hubby not to drink either, his family lives overseas and he hardly sees them. He hasn't been drinking since I quit, but I know he will want to have drinks with them, and I don't blame him. He has never had a problem drinking...he barely touches it.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

They are not real big drinkers, so there won't be much. I told my husband I thought I could do it, but if the struggle becomes too much... I will get rid of it, and he is behind me 100%.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well I think you have a pretty good plan and your hubby sounds like a great support. The blinking neon light saying AA cracked me up!

You know the moms will be there if you need support
Old 05-20-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My in-laws drink a lot when they come over and I would never tell them that I am abstaining. They would enjoy it too much; very critical bunch. Go for the diet excuse! I let my in-laws know that I am training for some races and trying to stay fit. It keeps them less suspicious (especially if when you do lose weight).

My husband keeps wine around all the time. It is fine if the bottle is not opened, but if it is, I can really hear my Addictive Voice nagging me to take a swig, especially if the in-laws are over. I don't know if anyone has the same experience with open bottles, but I have to treat them like napalm and stay far, far away from them.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

...also, I have family members on my side of the family who are also on health kicks and not drinking any alcohol and staying away from fats and empty calories. Before the Big Realization came to me, and I heard about their health plans, I never thought twice about why they were not drinking. It made sense to me that alcohol would be cut out when dieting and I definitely did not think "oh, they must be alcoholics."
Old 05-20-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ah yes...an open bottle of wine is not a good idea. After all are in bed I would be sneaking down the stairs with night vision goggles. "Why is the previously half bottle if wine now empty? I don't know...ask the cat, he is walking kind of crooked:-)"

Lol...all kidding aside, anything leftover after they go back to the hotel will likely be dumped.